Chapter 15.

Enjoy.

~

Prod

I was at my mom's house with Chres, Christian and Jacob. My mom was in the kitchen, cooking Sunday dinner while we watched the football game. I was actually feeling good today. I had been hanging out with Kelsey for a few weeks and she was one thing that kept me happy. So I guess I was good.

"You putting money down on this game?" Chres asked Jacob, who took a sip of his water.

"You know I don't get payed until next week! Stop being a chump!" Jacob yelled, sitting his cup down.

"Whatever, man. What about you Prod?" Chres asked me.

I shook my head, "Im good." I laughed.

"Y'all suck!" Chres yelled.

"Daddy, can I get some chips?" Christian asked, standing in front of me.

"Yeah. Grandma's in the kitchen. Tell her I said you can have some." I told him, slightly rubbing the top of his head.

He smiled, running into the kitchen. I focused my attention back on the game, and settled myself on the couch.

"So how are things with you and yo girl?" Chresanto asked me, not taking his eyes off the tv screen.

"She's not my girl, bro. We're just dating.. We chilling." I replied.

"She give it up yet?" He asked, snickering.

I shook my head, "You foul, man." I laughed slightly.

"Chres been foul since high school. Im surprise you forgot." Jacob said, shaking his head.

Chres threw some popcorn in his mouth, glancing over at me, "You didn't answer my question."

"No! Okay? Dang. She's not like that." I replied, laughing again.

"I don't mean to sound like a man whore... My bad, Craig." Chres apologized, sarcastically.

It was still a little weird talking about another woman when I missed Ashley, dearly. I knew she would always have my heart, even if she wasn't here.

The room grew quiet and Jacob glanced over at me, "This just feels weird, man." He said.

"What does?" Chres asked, looking at him.

"It's almost like.. Ashley's still here.. Like she's with us." Jacob replied, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Why do you say that?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

I agreed with him.

"I don't know, man. I just can't believe she's gone." Jacob said, shaking his head.

"I know what you mean. She was like my little sister. I'm the one who got you and her together. Remember that?" Chres asked, looking at me with a small smile on his face.

I nodded, "Yeah.. You did."

"Sorry for bringing it up, she was just on my mind." Jacob said.

The room grew quiet. I looked down at the ground, while Chres and Jacob kept quiet. Suddenly, Ray came flying through the door. He was out of breath, with sweat running down his face.

"What's wrong with you, man?" Chres asked, a look of concern growing on his face.

"They're coming! They know we did it!" He yelled.

Chres and I stood up, "What are you talking about?" I asked.

He took a deep breath, "Remember that night with Antoine? His boy, Lucas! The one who was with Antoine the night they killed Ashley! They know we did it! They're coming for us bro!" Ray yelled.

"I thought you said that no one would trace us back, Jacob?! Huh? Nobody not even the cops!" Chres yelled, glaring at Jacob.

"They must know somebody! Don't blame this shit on me, Chres!" Jacob yelled.

"Aye, just calm down!" I yelled.

"They know about us, man! Craig, bro, they know about Christian..." Ray trailed.

My head was spinning. All of this was happening so fast. One minute, my life is finally getting better and now, people are after me? My life is great huh?

Jacob was pacing back and forth, taking deep breaths. Ray was still trying to catch his breath. Chresanto looked like he wanted to kill somebody.

I took a deep breath, "How do you know all of this?"

Ray sighed, "I was coming out of the gym.. I walk to my car and my tires are slashed, and somebody keyed my car! I'm pissed, looking around and somebody dressed in all black comes up to me saying Lucas looking for me. Nigga, I had to run all the way here!" He said.

"This is bullshit!" Chres yelled.

I couldn't think. They took my wife away and now they were threatening not only my life, but my son's. We couldn't tell the police because they'd arrest us for murder, so what was another option.

"What you think about, Prod?" Ray asked me.

I sighed, "I think I know what we have to do." I said.

Suddenly, my mother and son came out of the kitchen. Christian walked next to her with a small bowl in his hands, while she wiped her hands on a dish towel.

"What's all the yelling about?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Nothing, ma. We just got hype from the game." I lied.

"Oh, well try to keep it down. And hi Ray, I didn't even know you were here." She said, smiling at him.

"Nice to see you again, Mama Wanda." He greeted, a small smile creeping on his face.

I looked over at my son, who was sitting on the couch, eating his chips. "We'll discus this later, aight?"

The guys nodded as we went back over to the couch, watching the game.

Whatever needed to be done, had to be done by night because from what we've heard, Lucas is dangerous and if he's looking for us, we needed to get to him first.

Thinking about everything that had happened over the past few weeks, made me feel different. It felt like I wasn't myself anymore. I lost a part of me when Ashley died, I felt like a monster when I killed Antoine, I didn't feel like a good father, being away from Christian all the time. I felt like a cheater for hanging with Kelsey while my wife, watched in heaven. I just felt different.

I wonder how things would be if Ashley was still alive. It's crazy isn't it? How one tragedy could change your life forever. I felt like it was my fault that Ashley wasn't here with me anymore. If I wouldn't have liked her so much in middle school and high school, maybe she'd still be alive.

One small decision in your life, can change everything planned in the future. Crazy right?

While I put my focus back on the TV, there was a loud knock on the front door. Ray looked at me, while Christian's eyes widened.

"I'll get it.." Chres offered. He stood up, walking over to the door. He looked through the peep hole then back at us.

"It's the cops.." He trailed.

~

5+ votes for next chapter!

Thanks for reading! Vote, follow and comment. Comments make me happy! Tell me what you think.

- McKenzie.