Chapter 17.

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy.

~

Ashley

"They can't treat them like that!" I yelled, once we got back to the dark room. Joshua and I had been at the police department, watching them question and beat the guys.

"They can do whatever they want.. They're the police." Joshua said, looking over at me.

"That's not fair!" I yelled.

"Ashley, calm down. They're going to be alright." Joshua said.

I sat down next to him, "They're going to get out of all of that?" I asked.

He just looked at me. His eyes trailing all over my face. I looked at him, waiting for an answer but he kept quiet. He was really acting weird, since he told me his story. I don't know exactly why but he was.

"You worry too much." Joshua said, quietly. His eyes staring into mine.

I scoffed at him, "You don't worry enough."

He just laughed at me, shaking his head. He stood up, walking away from me to the table in the corner. Food suddenly appeared in front of him. He wasted no time, stuffing his face in it. I got up to follow him.

"How can you eat in a time like this?" I asked, sitting in the chair across from him. He looked at me, "Ashley, you're annoying. Okay?"

"What? How?!"

"You ask a lot of questions. You never just go with the flow.. You're dead, okay? You can't change what happens down on earth. You have a few days until you're forced to crossover and you're still stuck with this fantasy of being on earth.." He trailed.

"I just.. I don't know. I'm sorry." I said, looking down at my hands.

"Don't start with the water works.. Man, I swear you remind me of.." He trailed, setting down his fork on the table. He cleared his throat, releasing his eye contact from me.

"Who? Who do I remind you of?" I asked. I waited for him to open his mouth and speak, but it was almost like he was scared to open up to me.

"You remind me of.. her." He said, looking up at me.

"Your girlfriend?" I asked.

"Yeah." He mumbled.

I didn't know what to say. I felt some type of way about the whole situation. But I had to grow some balls. I wasn't going to make any progress with him acting to distant.

"Joshua.." I trailed, glancing up at him. He looked sad and confused. But when he looked at me, his face changed.

I continued, "I know you hate when I ask questions but--will.. Will Craig be okay?" I asked.

He nodded, slowly, "Yeah."

"You sure?" I asked.

He laughed, "Ashley, yes."

I felt better. Maybe I was ready to cross over. But a part of me still wanted to see how life was down on earth.

"Thank you." I trailed, my eyes trailing all over his face. He furrowed his eyebrows, "For what?" He asked.

"For everything."

He didn't respond. Instead, he leaned across the table, cupping my face with his hand. He slowly and carefully, pressed his soft lips against mine. In an instant, I felt like I was floating. His kiss made my whole body weak. I grabbed the back of his neck, messing with the small hairs, that brushed against my hand.

After several moments, he pulled away slowly, staring deep into my eyes. I was breathless and confused. I released my hand from him, watching him sit back down in his chair.

"I--I'm sorry. I didn't mean--ya know--"

"It's okay." I whispered, slightly touching my lips, that begged for our lips to be together again.

I couldn't be with Joshua. The day I got married to Craig was the day I promised to only be with him.

But I wasn't with him.

Not anymore.

"Ashley, I love you." Joshua rushed. I looked up at him, furrowing my eyebrows. What? He looked at me, his eyes showing fear and confusion. He awaited for my response. I didn't know what to say.

"Before you say anything.. I just want you to know that spending these last few weeks with you have been the best weeks of my life and even though I act like an ass sometimes, I do it because I care. I really do and I know you love and miss Craig but if you just give me a chance to make you happy again--"

"Joshua stop." I said, tears slowly welling up in my eyes. "Don't do this."

"What? Why? Why are you crying?" He asked, getting out his chair, walking to me. He kneeled in front of me, placing his warm hands on my thighs.

"We can't love each other, Joshua."

"Why not?" He asked, his eyebrows scrunched.

"You know why.." I trailed.

He stood up. "Why? Because I might not cross over? Or--or is it Craig?" He asked, tears welling up in his eyes.

"We're dead! This isn't a place for this! Okay? Craig is my husband--"

"You're dead! What don't you understand?! I know you didn't ask for this but face it, you're never going back! Ashley, I love you! And I know I'm not Craig but I'm willing to make you as happy as he did! Hell, even more happy than he did!" He yelled, grabbing my hands, his dark orbs piercing into mine.

"You can't love somebody within a few weeks." I whispered.

"What do I have to do to prove it to you?" He asked, his eyes begging.

He wiped the tears that fell from my eyes, as he pressed his lips against mine again. He was shaking, tears running down his face. I pulled away, pulling my hands away from him.

"We can't be together. Just like you said.. We're dead."

I couldn't be with Joshua. I still loved Craig with all my heart. And the fact that Joshua might not cross over, just makes things more complicated.

It can't happen.

There couldn't be an us.

~

Thanks for reading! Vote, follow and comment. Comments make my day! Tell me what you think.

- McKenzie.