1

Ava stares at the house in front of her. She is still dealing with the news, she has been a fan of Post Malone for years. She has gone to many of his shows, has all his records, his songs are often on repeat and she has even managed to meet him twice. But, she had not known he was married. She does not think anyone knew he was married. She takes her bag out the back of her car and walks up the front steps then rings the doorbell, listening to it chiming deep into the massive house. She had seen pictures of this house on the internet and heard his interviews where he had said LA had been too fast-paced for him so he had moved out here for the peace and quiet. But, the file in her hand paints a much darker sinister picture and it breaks her heart a little. She hears some movement from behind the door and then it opens and a beautiful copper-haired woman with striking eyes and a friendly smile opens the door. Ava likes her immediately.

"Hi! You Ava?" she asks, her voice husky but, sweet. "Yes, that's me," Ava replies. "I am Gracie.  It's so nice to meet you, come in, come in," Gracie says waiving her in. Ava steps into the house and is hit with a wave of warmth, the type of warmth you get when you go to your mother's home for Thanksgiving knowing the house is showered in love and comfort. Can she smell bread baking? The house is decorated in warm tones that make the large rooms feel toasty and warm - this home is full of love. Ava can feel it in her chest. "Leave your bag here and we will come back for it later, follow me," Gracie says and walks deeper into the house. Ava follows her, walking past a wall of pictures with Gracie and Post Malone - they look like a normal everyday couple, smiling brightly while wrapped in each other's arms. They also walk past a wall of music awards as they turn a corner and then land up in a huge oversized kitchen that is strewn with baking stuff, indoor plants, music sheets, and guitars.

"You arrived just in time. My bread is ready to come out of the oven and I am about to make lunch. Please, sit down," Gracie says as she puts oven mittens on and opens the oven. Ava looks around, there are seven high chairs pushed against the kitchen island and a large couch pushed into the corner of the kitchen under a large bay window, it looks like it has seen better days. "Where can I sit?" she asks placing the file she had been holding on the kitchen island. "Oh, anywhere, but the couch. My husband can get a little possessive over that thing. It's from our very first apartment and cost me $20," Gracie says and chuckles to herself as she tips the freshly baked bread out of its tin. Ava gets a little nervous at the mention of Post Malone. She does not know if she will ever see him - she is here for Gracie. "I take it you need me because your husband is away a lot?" Ava asks as she pulls out one of the island chairs and sits down.

"No. Austin is reshuffling his calendar around so he can be home more. If it were up to him he would not step his foot out this door until after. But, there will be times he will have to go away. It upsets him to talk about that so, try not to mention it to him if you can," Gracie says and then starts slicing the bread. Ava had not expected that answer. She knows very little about the real Austin - Post Malone the singer is all she really knows just as the rest of his fans do and she had always assumed he was a little self-centered, even though she is a fan. But, it sounds like he cares for his wife - of course he does, he married her for goodness sake. Suppose she has to get used to the idea that Post Malone is a real person and not some Hollywood prototype. It's weird to think of him in a real-life setting.

"Sorry, I am a little lost. If your husband is available then why have you hired me?" Ava asks, confused. Gracie lets out a little sigh then puts down her bread knife and looks at Ava. She really is a beauty of a woman. "I worry about him. This whole thing is very stressful, he is falling apart. I can see it even though he tries very hard to hide that from me. I was hoping you could help to lighten the load. Although, you will have a bit of a battle on your hands. You see, Austin is not pleased about having help. He says he wants to be the one to look after me and he will make it hard for you to do your job. I am terribly sorry," Gracie explains, her face apologetic. She is a kind woman, Ava can tell. "It's ok. This is not my first job or the first stubborn husband I have had to work around," Ava says. Gracie's face falls and she clutches the pendant around her neck. "Those other husbands...were they ok? You know, after. Did they make it through ok?" she asks, her voice barely a whisper. No, they did not, they were all broken men after. But, Ava can't bare to tell her that so she lies. It's for the best. No use in making her worry about something she will have no control over. "It was hard, but they were ok," Ava says tenderly. Gracie smiles and nods then picks up her bread knife and goes back to cutting the bread.

"Baby, do you know where my...oh," Ava grabs the edge of the kitchen island as she hears Post Malone's voice as he walks into the kitchen. She turns slowly and has to stop her mouth from falling open on the floor. There he is, standing no more than a few meters from her. If it were any other setting she would have jumped off her chair and asked him for a picture, but she is working and has to remain professional. Besides, given the circumstances around why she is here her moral compass would never allow her to do such an appalling thing. "Austin,  this is Ava. Ava, this is my husband, Austin," Gracie says. Ava can hear the worry in her voice. "Pleased to meet you, Austin," Ava says as politely as she can. Austin's face darkens and Ava can see what Gracie was saying about him not wanting her here. "Is this the nurse?" Austin says ignoring Ava. "Yes, sweetheart, this is her," Gracie says.

"Baby, we spoke about this. We don't need her. I will look after you," Austin says. He looks upset, angry even but, he does not shout at Gracie. "I know. But, I really think we need her," Gracie pleads. "Come here, baby," Austin says holding out his hand to her. Gracie puts the knife down again and takes his hand then he tugs her gently out of the kitchen. Ava watches them talk in hushed tones just outside the kitchen door. Ava can not hear what they are saying but, she can tell by their body language that Austin is trying to convince Gracie to send Ava packing while Gracie is trying to convince him to let Ava stay. She can also tell that Austin usually gives in to Gracie's every request and is fighting a losing battle right now as he slowly backs down.

Ava watches as Austin caves in and draws Gracie into a hug, he is tender with her as he wraps his arms around her. He treats her like glass and the pain in his face confirms Gracie's words earlier - Austin is falling apart.