38

This was a mistake, she should not be here. She has driven around the block three times and is now parked in the driveway but, her legs feel numb and she does not think she can get out of her car. She should go. She feels a lump form in her throat and her chin wobbles as she looks at the inviting house. She should not be here so she starts her car, but before she can back out the driveway the front door opens and Gracie's mom steps out looking at her car with curiosity. She can't go now, how would she explain it next time she sees her so she turns off the engine and climbs out of the car.

"Ava? Oh, goodness. I was wondering who on earth was parked in my driveway...are you ok? You don't look too happy...are you ill dear?" Gracie's mom asks walking towards her and then pulling her into a hug. "I am alright thank you...I...well, I was hoping to have a word with you if that's okay."

"Of course. Come inside and I'll make us some coffee," Gracie's mom says taking her hand and leading her inside. She is such a wonderful woman, Ava truly adores her. They head to the kitchen and then Ava sits down at the kitchen table while Gracie's mother makes coffee. "Now, I have a selection of my grandson's pies, but I know you love the peach pie so here you go," she says placing a large slice in front of Ava along with her coffee and then takes a seat next to Ava with a gentle smile on her face.

"So, what did you want to talk about, dear?" she asks. Ava clenches her jaw and tries to keep her emotions in check, she does not want to be a crying mess during this conversation. She takes Carter's ring and fiddles with it in her nervousness.

"Do you know about Carter?" she asks softly. Gracie's mom smiles and then nods. "I do. Gracie told me about him. She said he was wonderful."

"He is wonderful...I made myself a promise...I promised that he would plug all the holes in my heart...forever. But, Austin...it feels like Austin is starting to plug those holes too."

"Austin is wonderful too."

"But, he's not mine...I have no right to want him to and I feel like I am betraying Gracie and Carter with how I feel...I don't know what to do and I don't know how to deal with this."

Gracie's mom cocks her head and looks at Ava then a soft smile forms on her lips. "My daughter was a very clever girl. She had a knack for finding people with beautiful spirits and surrounding herself with them. I think Gracie chose you very carefully, Ava."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't get me wrong. I don't think my daughter had it in her to find another woman for her husband before she died. But, I do think she was careful and chose you for a very specific reason. I think she always knew that Austin would need someone kind and patient with him because he loved her so fiercely that he would need someone like you - be that as a friend or something more. I don't know much about Carter but if he was anything like Gracie he would want you to be looked after and cherished...you deserve that, Ava."

"I just..."

"Finding love with someone new does not mean you love Carter any less and the same goes for Austin - his love for Gracie will never die because you will continue to encourage it just as he will continue to encourage your love for Carter."

"He does...he makes me feel like I don't have to hide him."

"You shouldn't hide him, he's part of you and I love him too because of that."

Ava has to clench her jaw again to stop herself from crying. Carter had no family and now he has a huge loving one - he would be very happy at the idea. Gracie's mother leans forward and takes Ava's hand.

"Austin has warned me not to intervene or push, he says if anything happens it must progress naturally...he is battling the same emotions as you are - guilt, betrayal...but I know my daughter and I know in my heart she would be happy with what is happening between you and Austin. Austin deserves this type of love, Ava. He was so good to my Gracie. He loved her so much and made her so happy - he was the best thing that ever happened to her and I am grateful every day that it was him she fell in love with. Just because she is gone does not make Austin any less of a son to me...he also gave me Grayson - as far as I am concerned, Austin deserves the world. He is a good man."

"I told him once that Carter would respect him... I still believe that."

"I agree, dear," Gracie's mom says then cocks her head again. "I don't know if you need this but, if it means anything to you...you have my blessing, Gracie's father too. We adore you and we trust you with Austin and Grayson. We are glad it's you..."

Ava can't bite back her tears any longer so she lets them fall as Gracie's mom wraps her arm around her and soothes her back. It does mean something, it means a lot. It will still take her some time to feel like she is not betraying the friendship she had with Gracie but she also knows that Gracie only ever wanted Austin to heal and live a long happy life after she had slipped away. Ava would never expect Austin to let Gracie go or even love her as he did Gracie - she could never love Austin as she did Carter. It's a different kind of love but no less intense and no less real. "Alright, now that's sorted - eat your pie," Gracie's mom says sitting back and wiping her cheeks. Ava lets out a soft watery laugh and takes a bite of her pie - Grayson is truly his mother's son, his pies are amazing.