34

As the year ticks on Ava finds her love and adoration for Grayson grow and it's not only her, all his classmates love him and the teachers around the school develop a soft spot for him too. She heard the grade two teachers are fighting to have him in their class next year. At first, she thought it was just because he is Post Malone's son, and whenever Austin drops him off or collects him Ava will often receive visits from the other teachers who develop a silly habit of giggling too much. Austin pays them no attention - this is his son's time and he does not play games with his son's time.

On Sofie's birthday, Grayson arrives with a bunch of flowers and a heart-shaped pie that he hands to Sofie who giggles and gives him a nervous hug as she says a sweet little thank you. Grayson turns and looks at Austin who is still in the doorway, Austin gives him a grin and a thumbs up then leaves a peach on Ava's desk that she only sees after he has left.

Grayson is very clever and is top of her class but, he always finds time to help those who battle a little. He also volunteers when asked to help out at school events and at the school bake sale he arrives with five pies that sell almost immediately. He has a knack for baking pies and Ava can say without a shadow of a doubt that she has never had one as good as Gracie made but Grayson's pies are a very close second. He is talented too - plays any instrument, sings, plays sports, and loves to take part in the school plays - Austin sits in the front row for all of it.

He also constantly talks his father up to Ava. He tells her that he is the strongest man he has ever seen, can run for miles, is the best swimmer, and sings lots of love songs. He also tells Ava that his father is very romantic and if she ever went on a date with him that he would have candles on the table, read her a poem, and wear a tie. He also speaks a lot about his mother, Austin has been sure to keep her memory alive - Grayson knows everything about Gracie and often says she will always be around even though he can't see her.

Austin is very involved with Grayson's schooling, like his son, he is always ready to volunteer if there is a function or sports event that needs help from parents. Ava stands aside, watching as teachers and mothers flirt shamelessly with him while he ignores them and focuses on his son. After the first school holidays when Ava asks them all to share what they did, Grayson tells them of his travels with his dad while on tour - the kids know no better and think that Grayson's dad just takes him on cool holidays. Ava loves how Austin has made his life and Grayson's life mesh so seamlessly. During term time he writes and produces music from home so he is always available for Grayson then during the holidays they go on tour together. They are both happy boys and their setup works for them - it's clear to see they are very close.

Austin and Ava don't get much time to talk given they only see each other during drop off or pick up and school is not the place for a couple of old friends to catch up. But, during the parents' evening, they do get a moment and Ava finds that Austin is the same man he always was, slightly different given his loss but still the same.

"So, is this what grade one is all about? Drawing pictures and writing letters of the alphabet over and over again?" Austin asks looking through Grayson's work that he had left displayed on his desk for his father. "There is reading too...and math," Ava says picking up Grayson's math book. "When I was in grade one I got kicked out of class for throwing a peanut butter sandwich at my teacher after she told me that I was stupid," Austin says flipping through Grayson's math book.

"That's awful."

"The flying peanut butter or the being stupid?"

"The being stupid. You are not stupid and it's terrible that a teacher would say that."

Austin laughs and then holds up Grayson's math book. "My son is not stupid that's for sure," he says. "No, he's top of the class. He is very clever. He is also very kind and makes friends easily. He is well-rounded, Austin, you have done an amazing job with him."

"Can't take all the credit I am afraid - he is his mother's child. He is so much like her... sometimes it scares me a little."

"That may be so but, you have nurtured that part of him. So..."

Austin smiles and shrugs, he was never any good at seeing the good in himself. "So...are there any issues with my perfect son?"

"No issues as such, but he gets sidetracked easily, sometimes he is like a big energetic puppy...but, we are working on it. He is also a rather persistent wingman."

"Wingman?"

"Yes, he talks you up a lot. Told me you would wear a tie if I ever went on a date with you and you are the strongest man in the world."

"Second part is true, I am the strongest man in the world. I will arm wrestle you right now to prove it," Austin says with a chuckle as Ava laughs softly. "He worries about me...scared I am going to be all alone when he grows up. His grandmothers are no help, they have been trying to set me up with their friend's daughters. But, I just...I just don't think I am ready yet. I am my own worst enemy, to be honest - I compare every woman I meet to Gracie...no one measures up."

Ava nods and then starts laughing softly which embarrassingly turns into a full belly laugh. "You having a breakdown? Kids finally driven you mad?" Austin asks grinning at her. "No...I just know what you mean. Carter has this flick in his hair, in the front -"

"A cow's lick?"

"Yeah, and I went on a date with a guy but I left early because he didn't have one. I was that bad at one point."

Austin laughs along with her then shakes his head. "I haven't even attempted a date yet and the reason is stupid."

"You feel like you are cheating..."

"Yes! Yes. Is that stupid?"

"No. Not at all. I felt the same way for a long time."

Austin smiles at her, but it seems a little sad then he checks his watch. "I should go, it's getting late. Grayson is at Gracie's parent's house and we are having dinner there...Hope says you and her are friends."

"Yes. For a while now."

"They adore you by the way. Gracie's parents ask about you all the time and Gracie's mom was very excited to hear you are Grayson's teacher."

Ava had enjoyed Gracie's parents, they are good people with kind hearts and she loves that they remember her and speak fondly of her. Hope and she have grown so close and she is very special to Ava. "Well, I adore them too, please send them my regards," Ava says. Austin chuckles and holds up his phone. "Speak of the devil," he says then answers the phone. "Hey, mum...yes, I am coming, just finishing off my parent's meeting...yes, with Ava...no I don't think so she has lots to do...no, mom...ok...I said ok, I will ask," Austin says then holds the phone to his chest and looks at Ava. "Um...so...Gracie's mom is asking if you would like to join us for dinner."

"I don't want to impose."

"If anyone is imposing it's not you, Ava."

"Well...you are my last parent and I was just going to go home to my cat...so yes...yes, I will."

"Oh, fuck off. You are a cat lady now?"

"Just answer Gracies Mom and don't give me shit," Ava says as she starts closing the classroom windows and sorting out some stuff. Austin helps her put the kid's school books away and just as she is about to turn her class lights out one of the grade four teachers, Carry, appears in the hallway. She has always had it in for Ava for some reason and she has also been front and center in the flirting pool when Austin is around. Ava suspects she has been in the shadows, just waiting for Austin to come out of the classroom.