63

They stay in their little bubble, Ava wears the pear bra set and the baseball set too - sometimes she wears nothing and Austin's hands are never far, constantly reaching out for her as they laugh like kids - like two people very much in love. They eat attached, they shower attached, they watch snippets of movies attached and they sleep in a twist of limbs. On Austin's birthday, Ava pulls out a bra set with little slices of cake on it - Austin likes that one very much although he is quick to get rid of it and throw it across the room. When the sunsets on Saturday they make coffee then wrap themselves up in each other as they sit on their patio. Sunday finds Ava in her peach set again surprising Austin with breakfast in bed that is left uneaten and cold as he prefers to focus on her peaches. When Sunday afternoon rolls around and the house fills up with family and one very special red-headed boy that they had both missed Ava can't wipe the smile off her face and neither can Austin.

Austin's father gives a little birthday speech about how happy his son looks and he knows it's due to Ava's kind patient heart. Ava has to elbow Hope when she hears her snort beside her. When Austin sees the sun is setting and the family don't look like they have any intention of leaving he sneaks Ava away and they stand on the patio for a moment, just for a moment to remind them that life will be busy, people will come and go, even little Grayson one day - but, them? They will stay like this, they will always stay like this.

Ava had not been wrong - life has a way of taking over and at times getting away from you. Grayson is heading for the end of second grade and Austin's career takes a turn for the better. He has always been popular, always successful but after the release of his next album his popularity skyrockets and he finds himself pulled in every direction but home. The music industry has a bad habit of hooking its claws into you the more successful you get but Ava will never let Austin forget who he is so when he worries or frets and thinks it will all be too much she leads him out to the patio and reminds him that he is Grayson's father, he is her life and nothing else really matters - she grounds him and so he remains the sweet gentleman he always is no matter who falls at his feet.

When the headmistress resigns to move on Ava is encouraged by the other teachers to take up the position but, her confidence in taking up such a role is shakey so she is quick to find Austin who only serves to wrap her in his arms and build her up - so feeling like she can touch the stars she applies and gets it. The year starts with Grayson making new friends in grade three, Ava on new ground as headmistress and Austin on top with another new album and a string of tour dates. Austin also hits a home run most days, he never forgets to start at first base though, and also never skips second and third base either, "every good sportsman knows to cover all the bases, Peach," Austin is always quick to remind her when she tries to aim for a home run without bothering with bases. 

It's an exciting year and Ava can't wait to live it.

But, then...

One morning she wakes to a head-splitting headache and nausea that will just not leave her body. Austin has trauma associated with headaches and so she keeps it to herself but by the time she gets home with Grayson from school it has not eased up so she pretends nothing is wrong and even when Austin suspects something she waves him off saying she is just tired then slips into the bathroom while he is putting Grayson to sleep and empties her very sensitive stomach. She would not worry too much but it carries on for a week and Ava knows with the amount of suspicious looks Austin is giving her she won't be able to hide whatever is going on with her for much longer. She is not trying to keep secrets from Austin but he battles when it comes to headaches - the mere mention of a headache has his face going white. She has her suspicions but, again, with Austin's trauma she wants to make sure before she says something and possibly freaks him out. So she does what any sister would do and calls Hope.

"Honestly, Ava, it's weird that we never say anything. He will end up killing someone one day," Hope says as she lifts the lid to the stew Austin has been meticulously slow cooking all day. "It's what Gracie wanted. I promised her I would never tell him he was a terrible cook and when I got here Grayson was already keeping that promise without even knowing about it," Ava says leading her out to the pool with cold lemonade - it's the only thing that seems to settle her stomach and ease her headache.

"Well, I didn't make any stupid promises..."

"Don't you dare tell him, Hope, I will be raging mad if you do," Ava says feeling a shot of anger through her body, she is ready to kill her. "Chill, I won't tell but... what with the sudden murderous venom in your eyes?" Hope says laughing nervously.

"Sorry, I have just been a little out of sorts lately."

"What does that mean?"

"I think I am pregnant."

Hope sits up straight and grins at Ava. "Fantastic!  This is great! Wait...you think?" she asks now a little confused. "Yes, well I haven't done any tests but I have this constant headache and I have been throwing up...so..."

Hope's face goes white and she grips the arms rests of her chair, her knuckles white. "Yes...yes. You must be pregnant...you are pregnant...what does Austin say?" she asks keeping her smile bright but those white knuckles and slight shake in her voice give her away.

"I haven't told him yet."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want him to freak out like you are now."

Hope loosens her grip on the chair and starts laughing, she looks a little crazy. Then she stands up. "Oh, don't be silly. You are pregnant. Nothing is wrong...nothing is wrong, you are pregnant," she says pulling Ava up. Hope is traumatized too. She had this same conversation with Gracie years ago and Gracie was very much not pregnant. Ava understands the fear that is probably gripping the back of Hope's neck who is trying very hard not to ruin this moment. "Where are we going?" Ava asks as Hope herds her to her car. "Pregnancy test, because you, Miss Ava, are pregnant and I want to celebrate without this stupid fear hovering over my fucking head," Hope says as she starts the car.

At the pharmacy Hope makes her get three different brands then pushes her into the public toilet in the mall - she can't wait another second. So Ava pees on some of the sticks and watches quietly, then when she is done she walks out and hands one to Hope who takes it with shaky hands and a wobbly chin.

"Oh, Ava..."