46

It's been two months since they have been back home and back to their normal lives. She is still not sure how they are meant to be doing this - they are slow, one step at a time. Austin kisses her a lot and her knees always go weak when he does, he has also started to touch her, just light touches when he walks past or stands near her - reaching out and placing his hand on her hip softly or running his fingers along her back. He is very affectionate and it makes Ava's chest feel warm. He is still wrestling with his feelings - he goes between wanting this thing with Ava and feeling like he is betraying what he had with Gracie. Ava is patient with him, she knows how he feels and has been there herself and if she is completely honest there is always a tiny bit of guilt shimmering within her feelings too. So on the days he needs to sit and work through his guilt Ava gives him the space he needs and when he feels the need to apologize she shakes her head and smiles sweetly at him. "You are perfect the way you are and one of my favorite things about you is that you trust me enough to share your moment of weaknesses with me. It only serves to make my respect for you grow...we are figuring this out together and I find comfort in that."

Grayson's grade one graduation is a big affair. His whole family is there and they are loud when he walks on stage to get his little certificate from the headmistress, Ava stands just behind her biting back tears because she is so proud of him. She is proud of her whole class but Grayson...well we all know what Grayson means to her. Because Grayson is top of the grade and voted most likable and most likely to be president one day he was given the task of saying a little speech. Austin has spent hours helping him write and prepare for it and when he walks up to the sand behind the microphone he reminds Ava how much like his dad he is. Confident but in a humble way.

"This has been a big year for us. It's the start of our lives of being clever people. We are filling our brains with know...with knowledge and sometimes our brains hurt when we get home, I know my brain does. We learned to read and to write and Miss Ava told all of us that our pictures were better than any art...art...art..."

Ava steps forward and whispers the pronunciation in his ear.

"Artist! Thank you, Miss Ava. We made new friends and I hope we stay friends forever. It's scary going to school for the first time but it helps a whole bunch when you have teachers like Miss Haleigh, Miss Nelson, Mr Mathew, Mr Frank, and Miss Ava who is very special to me. She is our favorite teacher - the whole school loves her. My mom was a teacher too and her name was Miss Gracie I think she would be very proud of how much we all learned this year and of how nice the teachers are too because that makes us all want to come back next year and learn more things. So all my new friends and the teachers...you too Miss Anna," he says turning to look at the headmistress and then back to the crowd of people, "con...grad...you...lay... things," he sounds out the word slowly then looks to Austin for confirmation. Austin who is practically beaming gives him a thumbs up. Grayson grins and looks down at his paper again. "Have a wonderful break and we will see you back here for Grade two!" he says then steps away from the microphone as everyone applauds. Austin makes his way around to the side of the stage in record time, catching Grayson and hugging him tight when he jumps into his arms.

They plan to go out for dinner to celebrate and Ava is invited along. Austin suggests she invites her mum too and Greyson agrees.

"I am not sure, besides, it's Grayson dinner."

"I don't mind!" Grayson says rushing off to his grandparents to have his photo taken with them while they all stand outside the front of the school.

"Ava...could you explain why? I am starting to get a little nervous...does she not want to meet me?"

"She does... it's just. Well, she just worries. I was only nineteen when I married Carter and then cared for him till he slipped away when I was twenty-one. That's a lot for such a young girl to take on and work through. There were times I just did not know how to cope...I didn't know how to work through so much pain...I found myself in a very dark place. I thought if I could just join him it would stop this pain...if you know what I mean."

Austin's hand subconsciously reaches out and curls around her arm protectively when it dawns on him what she means. "I would like to have a conversation about that, Ava...when you are ready, please," he says his face full of concern and understanding. Ava offers him a small smile and nods. She has never really spoken about it, never felt quite safe enough to do so - but, Austin would be respectful and non-judgmental about her moment of insanity. "I would like to meet your mom but I won't push. You let me know when you are ready. Family is very important to me...all family. And if I may...I think you should give her a little more credit, she raised you after all - she did that right," he says giving her a lopsided grin. Ava rolls her eyes and grins back at him.

"Posty! Fancy seeing you here!" Carry's whiny voice hits Ava as she slinks up to them. "It's my son's graduation...why would I not be here?" Austin asks, confused.

"I think it's so wonderful how much you just love your kid. You are such a good dad - has anyone ever told you that?"

"I am a good dad because I love my son? Isn't that just basic parenting?"

"Well, yes, silly. But you drive him to school, fetch him, make his lunch, do his homework with him, help him dress, you attend all his sports games and even his school concerts."

"Again, basic parenting."

Carry lets out a very put-on laugh as she throws her head back then slaps Austin in the chest. It's embarrassing. "Oh, you are so funny!" she says with an exaggerated sigh and then leans into him. "So...I was wondering if you were busy. Would you like to take me out for a drink?" she coos. It's embarrassing how she is practically throwing herself at him and Austin seems oblivious to her flirting. "I am not busy. I have nothing planned for this evening, but it's still a hard no. Thank you for the invite though," he says then pushes Ava gently in the direction of the now-waiting family.

"I want to get her a coat...she needs one... that's what Gracie would do? Right?" Ava asks. Austin chuckles and shakes her head. "You have a lot of restraint, Ava, and no...for that shit Gracie would have gotten in her face...she too is a teeny tiny bit possessive," he says winking at her. "Well you do belong to her," Ava says bending to climb into the car as Austin opens her door but his hand reaches out and stops her. "Yeah, I do...but I feel like I belong to you too," he says softly as she looks up at him.