54

Ava loves hot days, the sun is always warm on her skin and the sky always has a comforting blue. She is out by the pool with Grayson as he splashes around. Hope and her daughters had just left after spending the day with them and now Ava is settled into a sun lounger with a book and Mr Tubs at her feet. Austin has a new album out soon and has spent a lot of his time in the studio tweaking it. He has played a few songs for her and Grayson and they both agree it's his best album yet - he is very talented, even though Dre insists it's only because of him. They're still close friends, closer than they have ever been, Dre and Austin's brothers had been his rock after Gracie, and that type of bond is not easily broken. Ava has also moved bits and pieces from her apartment over the weeks and now her apartment looks bare. She thinks she will only have to make one more trip and has already handed in the lease agreement to her landlords. She has spent every night here for the past three weeks.

They sleep on the couch in the den, but not because Austin has remained stagnant about Gracie's room - the opposite. He has disappeared quietly into the room every day and although Ava is not sure what he is doing in there she has seen him walk out with boxes. She does not ask, not because she does not want to know but because she is giving him the space he needs - this is a hard step and some days are tougher on him than others so she will give him as much love, space, and time as he needs. Love is patient and kind.

"Watch this dive bomb, Ava! It's going to be big!" Grayson shouts then runs as fast as he can, leaping into the air and curling his body into a tight ball. He makes a huge splash getting water droplets on her and Mr Tubs who is not impressed and runs inside. She watches him go with a chuckle then sees Austin walking out of the kitchen door and straight to her. "Hey," he says sitting down on the sunbed as she moves over a little for him. His eyes rake over her body and then as if he just can't help himself his hand reaches out and slides across her flat belly. "You wore this on the yacht...it was a difficult day for me. I had to show a lot of restraint," he says, his eyes still raking over her body. "I can wear it to sleep tonight if you like," she giggles. Austin raises his brow at her and shakes his head. "We have just got to the point of you taking your top off, let's not go backward in our progression, Peach," he says with a wink.

She hears Dre scream as he runs then jumps into the pool, Grayson laughing and swimming to him. "I need your help with something," Austin says standing.

"Oh, but Grayson..."

"Dre has him, that's why he followed me home."

Ava stands and then frowns when Austin takes off his shirt and puts it over her head, helping her into the sleeves. "What's this?" she asks. "Teeny tiny possessive," Austin says taking her hand and leading her inside. She laughs softly into her hand but then her stomach swoops when she sees he is leading her down toward his and Gracie's room. He stops at the doors then opens them and steps aside to let Ava go in first. She swallows thickly and takes a step inside, letting out a soft gasp. The room is blank. All the walls are white, the furniture is missing, and even the soft grey carpet and heavy charcoal curtains are no more. The only thing that remains is the hanging fireplace in the corner and an open box next to it. "Yeah...it takes some getting used to, huh," Austin says softly from behind her.

Ava spins and looks up at him. "You didn't have to do this. You didn't have to do this for me...oh, Austin..." she says taking a gulping breath as her tears come - guilt vibrating through her body. Austin cocks his head and smiles at her softly. "I did it for you...but, I did it for me too. It's been so long, Peach. It's been years. I won't let her go, but I need to move forward. I never thought I was strong enough. I never thought I would ever be strong enough...but I have you and you make me feel strong enough. It was hard, harder than I thought but it feels right and I knew I had chosen right when you just quietly left me to work through it. It's a blank slate...like us."

Ava wraps her arms around his neck and hugs him tightly. "What did you need me to help you with then?" she asks letting go of him. His eyes flick to the patio door. "I could not go out there...I don't know if I can, I need your help," he says softly. "Ok," Ava says taking a step to the side."Will you..." Austin says indicating for her to open the door or walk with her, just something. Ava smiles softly and shakes her head. "This may take a while but I will wait, I will wait for however long it takes just like you did with the front door for me. You are strong enough to do it...and I will be right here," she says. Austin seems lost suddenly, frozen in place as he looks out the patio doors, after a few minutes he takes a step forward then another and another and another until he is in front of the patio doors. He takes a breath and unlocks it then pulls the doors open, stepping outside. He does not need Ava to do anything, just be there - it's enough.

She watches as he walks up to Gracie's mug and picks it up slowly, running his fingers over it gently then hugs it to his chest. It takes a few seconds before his head bows and his shoulders shake. He is saying goodbye to her - this step is so very very hard. If this had been years ago Ava would stay where she is and give him a moment alone but it is not and he needs her now so she walks out and touches his arm lightly. Austin turns around quickly, pulling her into his arms and hiding his face in her neck. They stay like that for ages as he cries into her neck - it's a heartbreaking cry. He had loved Gracie so much.

After a while, Austin is able to gather himself and stands back slightly. "You are so brave, love," Ava whispers wiping his cheeks and smiling at him. He leans down and kisses her. "I want you to make this room your own...our room," he says walking in with her. It will feel weird at first, but everything does until it becomes normal. She watches him place Gracie's mug gently in the box so she peeps in and sees it holds their silver framed photos, her book, and a jewelry box.

"I put all her things in storage, but I could not let go of this stuff...I think I need just a little more time with this if that's ok."

"Will you trust me with this?" she asks softly. Austin looks at her then lifts the box and hands it to her. She takes it and places it gently in the cupboard. The cupboard he once shared with Gracie now only holds his clothing.