5

"It's beautiful out here."

"Gracie says it's her favorite place in the world."

Ava nods, she bets any place would be Gracie's favorite place as long as it involves Austin. Austin sits quietly, sipping his coffee and looking out over the patio. He checks in with Gracie three more times. "She sleeps more and more...I have a fear that she will slip away and I won't have a chance to say goodbye. I won't get a final moment to tell her just one last time that I love her...and before you tell me that she already knows I love her...I know that. I just want to tell her again," Austins says, almost snapping. Ava knows why and it's nobody's fault really - people must be telling him that to soothe his fear all the time.

"You could get a sensory pad, and place it under her. It will send an alarm if her breathing changes," Ava says softly. Austin holds up a small black box, "I got that. Don't trust it though," he says without looking at her as he takes another sip. He always seems so happy on stage or when greeting fans, Ava knows now it's just an act. She is sure he once was happy-go-lucky and will be again one day, but right now he is battling to hold it together. "What is her routine? What does a normal day look like for her?" Ava asks. "Gracie likes to have tea out here as the sun rises. Then she baths, makes breakfast and we eat on my kitchen couch while I show her new songs. I take her for a walk, then she potters around the garden and house...lunch...more pottering. Then dinner and by then she is ready for another bath and then she reads, watches tv, and sleeps. Medication between all that and sometimes family or visitors change the schedule...but, she has started sleeping a lot more now, she slurs her words more now too, so..." his voice wanders off.

Ava's heart squeezes - no doctor's visits, that's always a bad sign. Austin suddenly jumps up, spilling his coffee and darting inside, the little black box for the sensory pad left vibrating on the floor. Ava stands slowly and peeps her head through the patio doors letting out a sigh of relief when she sees Gracie standing next to the bed while Austin fusses over her. Her climbing out of bed has set the sensory pad off - everything has its pros and cons. "Baby, please don't do that. Call out, you are never alone," Austin is moaning but, he's not angry just scared. "Oh, I am sorry, love, I forgot. I'll do better, I didn't mean to scare you," Gracie says softly. "It's ok, don't worry about it," he waves it off and hugs her. That man loves her very much, Ava can see in every fiber of his being. "Sorry, I need to pee," Gracie says then walks to the bathroom, flashing Ava a smile as she walks past the patio doors.

"You call yourself a nurse! Where the hell were you? Sipping coffee and too fucking slow to rush in with me!" Austin snaps at Ava, his face is red with anger. Ava instinctively wants to defend herself, remind him he has told her to back off, tell him he was the one holding the sensory alarm box and how on earth was she to have known. But, Austin is freaking out a little and he would never take his shit out on Gracie so Ava will have to do as his punching bag for now. "I am just going to get settled in...give you some space," Ave says then walks out of their bedroom, closing the doors behind her as she goes. She grabs her bag from the front door and walks back down the passage stopping in each room and peering in until she finds the one she likes the most. The view from the window is not great as it looks directly over the driveway, but beyond the driveway are beautiful rolling hills. The room is the closest to Austins and Gracie's, but that was just by chance. She opens her bag on the bed and starts unpacking, she does not know how long she is going to be here - Gracie has chosen not to be told how long she has left, it's better that way. No one should be counting down to the date of their death.

"Oh! This is a great choice of rooms. I love this room. In summer the sun fills this room almost all day and in winter those hills are covered in powder white snow - it's beautiful," Gracie says walking in and sitting on the end of her bed. "You have a lovely home, Gracie," Ava says. "Thank you. Austin gave it to me. He gives me so much...everything I ever dreamed of...I wish I could give him something," Gracie says looking out of the window longingly then looks back at Ava and smiles softly at her. "That's where you come in, Ava...there is a little more to my plan and-" she says softly but, cuts herself off when the sound of Austin's approaching feet can be heard. "He sticks to me like glue," Gracie laughs softly. "Wanna go for a walk, baby?  Pick some fruit?" Austin asks stepping into the room.