9

"Did you take extra socks? Your feet are always cold at night," Gracie says from the bed while Austin packs his bag for his two nights away. Most singers would have assistants who pack their bags for them but, Ava has learned that their home is separate from any Hollywood stuff. She has not met anyone from his work side of life except for Dre, but Dre sits in both worlds - he is Post Malone's manager and then Austin and Gracie's personal friend. Austin lives a double life - on the road, he is Post Malone, a singer who has two assistants and a crowd of people who cater to his every need. While at home he is just Austin - Gracie's husband and he packs his own bag while his wife fusses that he has enough warm socks. The only thing that does not change for him no matter which world he is in is his kind heart and his eccentric clothing - the man has pink diamond studded boots for goodness sake.

"Baby, you have made me pack eight pairs of socks. I have enough to change my socks four times a day," he says with a chuckle. "But do you have those thick green ones?  The one's I got from the farmers market," Gracie asks leaning over and digging into his bag. Austin gives her a pointed but fond look and shakes his head. "Ava, would you mind getting them for him? They are in the top drawer near his shoes," Gracie says. Ava sees Austin's face fall slightly so she shakes her head. "He has perfectly good legs. He can get them himself," she says. Austin gives her a knowing smile and then hurries into his closet. When Ava looks at Gracie, Gracie is looking at her with a soft face. "You have a sweetheart, Ava...I know what you are doing. Austin told me about the fruit," Gracie says running her fingers through Ava's hair gently. Of course he did he tells her everything but, she does not think he has told her about Carter which is for the best or Gracie would worry about her and there is no need for that.

"Are these them?" Austin asks holding up a pair of lime green socks as he walks out of his closet. "Yes! Now your toes will be warm and toasty, and you will sleep well," Gracie says happily. "Thank you, baby," Austin says throwing them in his bag and pecking her lips. "Can I pack in peace now?" he mumbles into her lips. "Yesss," she whispers then grabs the front of his shirt and pulls him in for a longer kiss that Ava has to turn her head away from to give them a little privacy - there's passion there, can't have that without the type of love they share. "We are not alone, baby," she hears Austin chuckle. "Oh! Sorry, Ava," Gracie giggles and then blushes slightly when Ava looks back at her. "After all these years Austin still turns my brain to mush," Gracie says. "That's the best type of love," Ava says and Gracie agrees.

"Ok. I am packed. My show is at 9 pm but the flight is an hour so I will leave at 7 pm. My next show ends tomorrow at 1 am tomorrow so I will be home by 3 am. That's...well, let's not count how long that is," Austin says zipping his bag and then looking at both Gracie and Ava with his hands on his hips. "Why don't you sleep after your show and come home at a reasonable hour?" Gracie asks.

"Because I will miss your morning tea, once is enough thank you."

"Silly puppy," Gracie says climbing out of the bed and letting him cuddle her. "It's 6 pm already," Gracie says as if she wishes it wasn't. "I can stay, baby," Austin says but,  Gracie pushes away from him a little and looks at him with a stern face. "Don't you dare? You love singing and I would feel terrible if I killed your dream," she says then lets Austin wrap her in his arms again. Saying goodbyes are never easy for anyone.

It's not long before Austin's car arrives to collect him and then he has to use every ounce of energy he has to pull himself away from Gracie. He video-calls her as soon as he climbs into the car and stays on the phone, even if they don't talk, he stays on the phone. Gracie casts the call to the bedroom tv and then she and Ava watch Austin go about his travels as if they are watching a movie that interacts with them. They watch him arrive at the airport and meet up with Dre who immediately takes the phone knowing that Austin has Gracie on video. He greets and blows kisses then rushes off to do his business. On the plane Austin sets his phone up so they can see everything, people pop into the frame to say hi and Austin talks to Gracie as if she is right beside him. It's the same in the dressing room at his venue and eventually Ava feels Gracie fall asleep as Dre holds the phone up at stage side while Austin performs.

Ava continues to watch and as soon as Austin is done he runs off the stage and grabs the phone from Dre. "She asleep?" he asks as he walks back into his dressing room. "Yes, but she managed to watch most of your show...you were great," Ava whispers. "Thank you. She was fine this evening?" Austin asks. "You were on the phone the whole time...but, yes, she was fine," Ava says. "I...I guess I should let you sleep..." he says his face falling.

"I would appreciate it. But, you can phone me anytime, wake me up, I don't mind."

"Will you stay there with her?"

"In the bed?"

"Yeah...just in case."

"Ok, sure...good night Austin."

"Good night."

Austin phones Ava four times which does not would like a lot but his show only ended at midnight so she does not get more than an hour's sleep between calls. They are all the same, he just wants to make sure she is alive - it's that simple...that heartbreaking. At the time Austin would normally slip out of bed Ava takes Gracie's phone and goes into the kitchen then video calls Austin who picks up on the first ring.

"Ava? What's up? Where is Gracie?"

"I thought you could show me how  she likes her morning tea."

Austin stares at Ava through the phone, his jaw clenching as he blinks his eyes a little faster than normal and then he clears his throat. "It's a complicated process, that's all. I am a coffee girl...so..." Ava says. Austin's face splits into a smile and he nods "Well, that's why you called me. Above the kettle is a pink cup with roses on it," Austin says. Ava reaches up and opens the cupboard then pulls out the pink cup and shows Austin. "Yup, that's the one. Now, put the kettle on and you will find the teabags in a container in the pantry marked teabags. You need milk and sugar too," Austin instructs. Ava grabs everything and then looks at Austin expectantly.  He chuckles and shakes his head at her. "You are something special, Ava, that's for sure...so teabag first, one sugar, then water, leave it to draw for one minute, take the teabag out, and only then do you put the milk in," Austin explains.

After making the tea she carries it down to their patio, places it on the table, and uses a pot plant to stand Gracie's phone up then she goes back inside and wakes Gracie up. It's a summer day.  She wraps her in a blanket and leads her outside. "Morning, baby!" she says excitedly as she sits down. "Morning, lil mama," Austin greets her. Ava steps back inside, leaving them to their morning ritual -  Austin will cling to these when the time comes.