49

After the pie and some coffee. Grayson looks like he needs the bathroom but Ava knows that it's because he is desperate to ask her if she wants her gifts.

"Your dad said you might have a gift for me."

"We do!"

"Well, may I have them?"

"Yes! I thought I was going to die if you didn't ask!" Grayson says running inside and then coming out with two boxes. He places the big box in front of her. "That's from me. Open it first," he says. Ava lifts the lid and pulls out a soft white knitted sweater. "Oh, Grayson. This is beautiful. I love it," she says putting it on. "My gran made it. I picked the wool," he says hugging her and then passing her the smaller box. She lifts the lid and then frowns, pulling out a key.

"It's the key to our hearts!" Grayson announces happily. Austin chuckles and Ava looks at him. "Or... it's the key to our front door," Austin says.

"Oh...I...I am not sure I understand."

Austin looks at Grayson then takes Ava's hand and leans in closer. "Grayson and I have had a long conversation. We have both decided that we miss you when you are not around and would like to have you around more. This is your home, Ava-"

"Yes. We all live here. Mom, Dad, me, Carter and so you should live here too."

Ava blinks back tears. This is her home, she feels it every time she walks through the front door. But, this is a big step and she does not know if she can. Where would she sleep? How would this work?

"Ava...there is no rush. We can do it our way...whatever that looks like. You can move in all at once or maybe just a little bit at a time. But, we just wanted you to have a key so you can come whenever you like. No more invites...there is no need as I said - this is your home."

"But don't forget to lock the front door, there are heathers all around."

"Heathens..." Austin corrects him. Ava lets out a soft laugh and kisses them both. "Thank you. You have both my birthday wonderful," she says. "It only costs $20 to cut a key... a bit of a cheap gift," she says grinning at Austin. Austin throws his head back and laughs. "What can I say? I am a cheap guy," he says then leans forward and kisses her lips.

Grayson moans when Austin tells him it's time for bed so he gives Ava a half-hearted hug and drags his feet to bed while Austin walks behind him chuckling at his dramatics. Ava clears the table and then makes sure to throw away any leftovers - for safety reasons. After all these years the man still just can't get it right - he is worse to be fair. But, he tries and Ava can't think of anything sweeter. She will never tell him - she has a promise to keep, one that Grayson keeps to without even knowing it. She fills the sink and washes the dishes then her breath gets caught in her throat when she feels Austin's hands slide around her torso and then his soft lips on the side of her neck. "You ok?" he whispers. Ava turns in his arms and looks up at him.

"Yes. I am ok."

"Not too much?"

"No. This was the first birthday I have celebrated since Carter and it was perfect."

He searches her face then dips his head, kissing her and making her knees go weak. She does not think she will ever get used to him kissing her. She doesn't want to, she wants to feel like this every time he kisses her. He pulls back and looks down at her. "You are blushing, Peach," he whispers. She rolls her eyes and watches him bite his bottom lip then he takes a step back taking her hands and walking backward slowly, pulling her along with him as he watches her with a grin. "Come," he whispers then turns in the doorway keeping his hand in one of hers, and tugs her along to the den, pulling her down onto the couch with him when they get close enough.

"What are we doing?"

"We are kissing. Macking on the couch like teenagers," he says then pushes her on her back and leans over her, connecting their lips and kissing her again. Ava feels light-headed and her chest is desperate for air but she doesn't care. Austin lifts his head and then takes a dramatic breath. "Got a little lost there," he mutters with a lopsided grin.

"I am out of practice to be fair."

"What? No LA bitches...dogs, for you to practice on?"

Ava laughs and shakes her head. "I guess I am just not built that way either. It was just Carter...and now you."

Austin smiles sadly at her and cocks his head.

"You love him."

"I do. We met in grade one, and were friends our whole lives then when we turned sixteen something changed...we fell in love. He was only eighteen when he was diagnosed, we married at nineteen when we found out he was terminal, and then at twenty-one he just..." She lets her words drift off with a wave of her hand.

"That was a lot to take on for such a young girl."

Ava shifts and Austin sits back a little as she sits up. She has never really spoken about how much she battled, Austin had asked her the first night she met him what it was like after - her after was not healthy. It scares her still, she had never wanted to die - she had just been in so much pain. But she is safe here, she is safe with Austin.

"Carter did not have any family or at least any family that cared. All he had was me. He felt very bad and had even tried to end things with me but, I refused to go. He needed me and I loved him so there was nothing else to do.
I spent every waking second caring for him, he was my only focus. Then after he passed I realized I had no friends, no life...I had nothing. I didn't ever regret looking after him not once did I ever wish I had walked away when he wanted me to...but I was all alone and I was in so much pain. I just...I just saw no point in staying here when my only reason for living was no longer here. So...one night I got drunk and I took too many pills. I woke up the next morning in the hospital, I was terrified of my poor mother. I didn't want to die...I was just so sad...I was not at strong as you were."

Austin reaches over and pulls her into his arms, tucking her head under his chin and holding her protectively as if he could go back in time and stop her from doing such a silly thing. "Gracie and I were older than you and Carter. We had better forethought, we were better prepared...it was still hard...it was so fucking hard. But, I had my brothers, my family, my music, Grayson...I also had you, Ava. When you were here while Gracie was sick it was you that helped us push through and after she left you gave me Carter to look after her. I will be forever grateful to you. You are so strong, Ava," he says then pushes her out of his arms and makes her look at him.

"I am sad that you experienced that, but I am so very very grateful you made it through," Austin says gently. Ava smiles at him, looping her arms around his neck. "And yet you only bought me acheap-asss birthday gift," she giggles. "I didn't even buy it. I fished it out of a kitchen drawer," Austin says laughing then leans forward and kisses her again.