48

"Alright! Dinner!" Austin says proudly walking out with two plates, placing one down in front of Ava and then the other in front of Grayson. He steps back and watches them with a huge smile. Ava is not sure what she is looking at, she thinks she can make out peas but they are black, and something that could be carrots but may also just be mash. The meat is not identifiable because she has never had grey meat before and she is sure she can smell something that resembles vinegar. "Oh, wow Dad this looks amazing!" Grayson says. Ava looks up and sees Austin looking at her. "Yes...this looks great, I am just so blown away. outdid did yourself," she says, Austin's chest puffing out with pride from their words. "Ok, start before it gets cold. I will just get mine," Austin says walking back inside. Grayson jumps up and grabs the bucket.

"Ok, scrape a few peas in and a little meat."

"Which one is peas?"

"Don't know - just scrape, but not too much."

They scrap and then Grayson hides the bucket and sits down just in time. Austin walks out and sits down with a ridiculous smile. "Oh...it must be good, you guys have made a huge dent in your food already," he says - still smiling. "It's great Dad. Think this might just be your best meal yet," Grayson says. "You think so? I should let that cook that your grandmothers insist on go then. I could cook all our meals," Austin says. Grayson smiles and then looks at Ava with big pleading eyes. "Now, Austin you can't do everything and Grayson loves that extra time he gets to spend with you while the cook handles dinner...leave the cooking to special occasions," Ava says. "I suppose you are right. But, if you ever want one of my meals just let me know. Mom left me a detailed cookbook. Ok? Hey...where is the salt?" Austin says looking around the table.

"Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you I could not reach it when I was setting the table."

"But you got the pepper. It was right next to the pepper."

"Sorry."

"It's ok, I will get it," Austin says standing up and walking inside. Again, Grayson grabs the bucket and they scrape some more stuff off, Ava thinks she sees a mushroom but she can't be sure. "I can't find it," Austin says walking back out with a perplexed face. "I don't know," Grayson says trying to hide his shifty eyes. "It does not need salt. You have already seasoned everything perfectly," Ava says. Austin smiles and sits down again. "Well, I am glad you like it," he says then starts eating. Grayson and Ava have to still their shock at how he eats like its actual food - his taste buds must be dead. "You are not eating? You full?" he says looking at them. "No, just thirsty," Grayson says. Austin shrugs and picks up the pitcher then frowns and looks at Grayson and Ava again. "We were very thirsty, all that hugging," Ava says. Austin rolls his eyes and stands. "This is the last time I am getting up," he warns and walks back into the kitchen. They scrap into the bucket again then sit back and wait for Austin.

"Thank you, Dad," Grayson says when he pours juice into their glasses. "You always make me feel like I have just finished gym with how often you get me up from the table during dinner," Austin chuckles. "Sorry but, your meal was really good and I am so full I am now stuffed. What about you Ava?" Grayson says. "Oh, me too. I just could not eat another bite. You outdid yourself," she says. Austin smiles proudly at both of them. "Well, I am afraid you only got dinner from me. Grayson made a huge pie for dessert," Austin says. Ava feels a sense of relief washes over her. She is starving. They watch in awe as Austin finishes his food then he and Grayson clear the dishes.

"Alright. Time for pie...would you like a birthday candle on it or not?" Grayson asks. "Yes please, birthday candle," Ava says.

"Can we sing you a happy birthday?"

"Now, Grayson we spoke about this-"

"It's ok...I would like that very much. Thank you," Ava says. Greyson squeals and runs into the kitchen, Austin gives her a soft look and then follows Grayson slowly. "Ok! Close your eyes!" Grayson shouts as he comes running out. Ava closes her eyes just in time to see Austin appear in the doorway holding a pie with one lit candle in it. She sits quietly and then hears them start to sing happy birthday to her softly. They both have beautiful voices - Austin sounds like a fine-tuned gruff bear while Grayson is a little morning bird. It's beautiful. She waits till she feels Austin place the pie in front of her and Grayson tells her to open her eyes and blow out the candle. She does and then something shifts, deep inside her, and for the very first time since Carter left her she feels like everything is going to be ok.

Everything is going to be ok.

Grayson cuts the pie up and gives Ava a huge slice, she's very grateful. "Thank you," Ava says taking a bite. It's so good. "Peach pie is my favorite," she hums. Grayson looks at her with a cocked head and a curious face. "You look a little different...you have grown up...but you are still pretty like in your photo and I have always known peach pie was your favorite," Grayson says. Ava frowns. "What do you mean, Gracie?" she asks. "I'll show you," he says hopping off his chair and running inside. Ava looks at Austin who shrugs - he has no idea either. Grayson appears again with a book in his hands. She recognizes the book, its Gracies pie recipe book she remembers Gracie scribbling new improvements she had made to her pies in that book.

Grayson opens it and places it down flat in front of Ava, Austin leans over and looks too. On the left page is a drawing of a pie with steam coming off it and a photo of Ava and Gracie pinned in the corner. They're in the orchard under the peach tree, arms looped over their shoulders as they hold out huge peaches towards the camera while they giggle - Austin had taken the picture. It had been a summer day. On the right page, in Gracie's handwriting,  is a recipe for Gracie's peach pie, under the heading in little brackets (Ava's favorite).

Ava would normally cry, but this time she feels happy - this is a wonderful treasure and so very special. She loves Gracie so much but there is just something extra special in knowing Gracie loved her too.