50

Ava stares at Austin's front door then turns and walks down the steps again then climbs back into her car. This will be the fourth time she has done it. She is here, unannounced and uninvited. Just like Austin had encouraged, but now that she is here she is unsure if she is infringing. What if they are busy? What if they are not even here? What if it's just not a good time? She had asked Austin all this before and he had simply shrugged and said that it was her home so she could just float around and do her own thing or demand that he pay her attention and he will - he was no help. So now she is walking between her car and the front door like an insane woman. She sighs and climbs out of her car again then freezes when she sees the front door open and Austin appears with a cup of coffee in his hand.

He says nothing as he steps out then closes the front door and locks it. Then he walks down the steps and sits on the little garden wall, looking out across the hills. "What are you doing?" Ava asks. Austin lifts his mug and takes a sip then shrugs. "Just enjoying my coffee, enjoying my hills," he says hiding his smirk.

"Is it ok that I am here? You guys not busy?"

Austin takes another slow sip of his coffee and then shrugs. He is very interested in those hills.

"You are not going to help me?"

"Nope. Just here to enjoy my coffee...and my hills."

Ava sighs then walks up the steps again and straight to the door, her hands shake when she lifts them and so she turns and walks down the steps again - climbing back into her car. This is ridiculous. She looks crazy. She feels crazy. Austin must think she has lost her mind even though he seems very good at hiding it as he continues to sit on that stupid little wall, sipping his stupid coffee and looking at his stupid hills. Does he own those hills? Probably. She climbs out of her car and takes a deep breath then stands at the bottom of the steps and looks up, they seem so high all of a sudden.

"You can do it Peach, just one step at a time," she hears Austin say softly. She looks at him - he is still looking at those stupid hills. It helps that he is here, she feels a little stronger. She takes another breath then walks up the steps, puts the key in the lock, and opens the door. She did it. She turns and watches as Austin walks slowly up the steps with a proud smile on his face. "You are not done yet...step inside," he says. Ava smirks and steps inside - she feels good, this feels natural. Austin walks in behind her and closes the door then looks down his nose at her. "Welcome home, Peach," he says. She can't help herself - she squeals and throws her arms around Austin as he chuckles and pulls her in tighter.

"I made you coffee when you arrived, it's ice cold now."

"Well...you should have just invited me and we could have saved ourselves all this drama."

"Now why would I invite you to your own home? That makes no sense."

"Stop being clever...where is Grayson."

"Swimming."

"You left him unattended in the pool?"

"He has a friend, he's on a play date."

"So you left two kids unattended in the pool?"

Austin rolls his eyes and walks toward the kitchen. "You know I would never. The other kid's mom was nervous to leave her son and asked if she could stay. She is out there with them," Austin says. "Yeah, I bet," Ava mumbles wondering what she could use as a coat for the woman using her son as bait. Despicable. Austin stops and gives her a pointed look. "Not everyone is a threat, Peach. Teeny tiny possessiveness - ok. Lots of possessiveness - not ok," he says. He is right and besides, she should give Austin some credit too. "You are right, sorry," she says.

"Hey, I understand."

"You do?"

"Sure! I would be going a little crazy too if I were you. Look at me - perfection!" he says sweeping his hand over his body with a smirk. Ava rolls her eyes, "you are terrible," she laughs. "Wanna meet her? She is nice," Austin says. Ava nods and then follows Austin outside.

"Ok! On the count of three! One! Two! Three!" a woman shouts and then Grayson and his friend run across the grass and then launch themselves into the pool. The woman cheers and claps for them. "Hey, Liz," Austin says walking up to her. She turns and smiles then looks at Ava and keeps her smile, Ava recognizes her as one of the mothers from school. Her son is in Grayson's grade but not in Ava's class. "Hello, Miss Ava. I didn't know you were here," Liz says happily. "She lives here," Austin says grinning slyly. "You do? Oh, I didn't know you two were dating," Liz says with a little frown - not an angry one, just a little surprised. "Yeah, she's my girlfriend," Austin says, just throwing it out there like it's no big deal. "Really?" Liz says, a little shocked. Ava only manages to nod because she is a little shocked too. "Well, that's wonderful. You make a lovely couple," Liz says, her smile genuine.

Austin excuses himself when his phone rings and walks off so Ava is left with Liz but the air does not turn cold or uncomfortable instead Ava offers her coffee and they chat while the boys play in the pool. It's nice. Austin walks back from the bottom of the garden and then helps them convince the boys that the day is over and to get out of the pool. When they wave them off Ava gets a sinking feeling in her stomach, it's getting late and she should probably head off home too - she hates this time of day.

"I should go too," she says softly placing her and Liz's coffee cups in the sink. "Stay," Austin says softly. She wants to stay longer so it won't take much to convince her. "Well, I suppose I could stay for a little longer," she says smiling as she turns to look at Austin. Austin's biting his bottom lip and his hands are shoved in his pockets, Ava frowns slightly and waits for him to speak. "No...I mean stay for the night," he says. Ava swallows thickly. What would that look like? She is not ready to have the Gracies bedroom conversation with him and she does not think he is either.

"I don't have any clothes...no toothbrush," she tries to make up an excuse weakly. "We can take a drive. Go to your apartment and get some stuff...you can just leave it here...for the future," he says. Ava's initial reaction is to say no. She has not moved any of her stuff over yet - she just found the guts to use the key for the first time. She should say no but, she doesn't. Instead, she nods, "ok," she whispers.