33

Ava feels like she has lost her head. It's the first day of the new school year and after an amazing break, she is so busy getting ready for her new students and their parents to arrive.

She has spring-cleaned her classroom and set up a new reading area and now finally she is waiting for her first student to arrive - she is nervous, but she hopes they like her. It always matters to her that her new students feel happy and safe with her. It's the start of their school career so she wants them to have only good memories so they will love coming to school.

The first student arrives with her parents, she's a sweet little girl and her name is Sofie. She is shy and very worried about her parents leaving her so Ava spends extra time showing her around the classroom and puts her at the desk near the front. By the time her parents leave Sofie seems to have settled a little and is happy to be left with Ava. Ava welcomes more students and helps them settle in, it's very busy but none of the kids have had a meltdown or refused to stay so Ava takes that as a win. Another little girl, Tracie arrives and Ava puts her next to Sofie - they will be best friends by the end of the year, she can tell.

"Ava?"

Ava spins around at the sound of Austin's voice. He is standing in the doorway of her classroom, his face a little shocked. It takes Ava a few seconds to convince herself that it's him, she was certainly not expecting to see him here. "Hi," she says softly. "Is...is this room 105?" he asks, checking the door and then the paper in his hand.

"Yes, it is."

"You are the teacher?"

"I am."

"Well," Austin says letting out a long shaky breath, "that makes me feel a whole lot better," he says.

"It does?"

"Today is Grayson's first day of school," Austin says then steps aside and a little boy appears from behind him. He has flaming red hair, huge blue eyes, and a smile that looks like it could melt even the coldest heart. Ava's heart skips a beat as Grayson walks up to her. She is Grayson's first-grade teacher? This may just be her favorite year and it hasn't even started yet. "Hello, Grayson. My name is Ava and I will be your teacher this year," Ava says, her body feels a little shaky. "Hello, Miss Ava. I am very excited to be here! I made this pie for you, it's a pear pie and it's my dad's favorite," he says handing her the pie.

"You made this pie yourself?"

"I did."

Austin clears his throat and Grayson lets out a little giggle. "Dad peeled the pears," he says. Ava smiles and smells the pie. "I bet it's going to be the best pie I have ever tasted," she says placing it on her desk. "Oh yes! It is one of my mother's recipes and I picked the pears from our orchard," Grayson says, Austin clears his throat again. Grayson rolls his eyes and smiles, "Dad helped me with picking the pears," he says.

"Those are the two most important jobs while pie baking," Austin says. Grayson throws his head back and lets out a loud belly laugh - it's a baby version of Austin's contagious laugh. Ava feels a heavy rush of dopamine as she watches him, making her chest feel warm - she thinks Grayson has this effect on everyone he meets and Ava is captivated by him.

"I think you have to go now, Dad," Grayson says when Austin does not move. "Oh, right, yes, yes," Austin fumbles and hands Grayson his bag then kneels in front of him.

"I will be here to fetch you as soon as the school bell rings, I will be right outside the door. If you are unhappy just tell Miss Ava and she will phone me. I will come to fetch you. Ok? Unless you want me to stay. I can stay."

"Dad, we have been over this. It's just for a few hours. I will be happy, Miss Ava seems like she is nice and I am going to make so many friends and learn so much - it will be fun."

"Of course...of course, it will be great. You are going to have a great day."

"I am going to have a Summer day."

"Yeah...yeah you are. I love you."

"I love you too. Go now."

Austin hugs him tightly then stands and looks at Ava. "I am glad it's you, Ava," he whispers then ducks out the class before his emotions get the better of him - he looks a little stressed.

"So, Grayson... that's a lovely name."

"Thank you. I was named after my mother, her name was Gracie. My dad said he could not name me Gracie because that's a girl's name and I am my own person so he called me Grayson but, do you want to know what my nickname is?"

"Gracie?"

"Yup! My dad's crazy," he chuckles putting his bag into his cubby then following Ava to his desk. He greets the kids close to him and they all seem to lean towards him as he talks. Ava gives them a moment to get to know each other then she starts her class.

All the kids in her class are wonderful like they are every year, but Grayson is something else. He is funny, smart, happy, and very kind too. He laughs throughout the day and everyone wants to be his friend. He is nice to all the kids even little Sofie who battles to come out of her shell. During break, Ava hears Grayson whisper to Sofie that he will help her make friends then takes her hand and leads her to the swings asking the other children to let her have a turn.

He is a wonderful kid and by the end of the day, Ava has fallen in love with the fiery-headed little boy along with everyone else who crosses his path.

Austin is the first parent to walk through the door, hugging Grayson as if he had not seen him in years. Grayson giggles but lets his Dad fuss. "How was your day?" Austin asks him as they walk up to Ava. "It was great! School is fun and Miss Ava is very nice," he says and Austin grins at Ava. "Thank you, Miss Ava...seems you are good at something finally," he says. Ava rolls her eyes at him fondly. "Finally," she laughs softly. "You know, Miss Ava, my Dad does not have a girlfriend," Grayson says suddenly. Ava lets out a nervous laugh, caught off guard by Grayson's little statement. "Right, home time - you must have bumped your head today," Austin says picking Grayson up and slinging him over his shoulder. "Bye, Miss Ava!" Grayson giggles as Austin carries him away, stopping by the door to look back at her and flashing her a smile. "It was good to see you again, Miss Firecracker," he says with a smirk and then disappears.

Ava has to stifle the giddy feeling that has started to swirl in her stomach - she has never thought of Austin like that and she does not know how she feels about it.