CHAPTER 23

Tatiana swallowed the ice cream and nodded at the queen with excitement.

"This dessert tastes great!" she squealed and ate another scoop. "Where do you guys get these? I should ask William for this when I get back to my room! The summer heat is taking a toll on my energy and this is the best one for me!"

Most of the ladies were bewildered by the princess's sudden outburst. Some of them even tried the ice cream and some stayed and watched the queen's reaction.

The queen scoffed and looked at Tatiana like she was some sort of stupid monkey. She wonders why the princess is acting this way. Maybe she has something up her sleeve again.

"Stop acting like this is the first time you've tasted this dessert. You're acting like some sort of mountain girl." the queen said.

Tatiana swallowed the ice cream and shook her head at the queen, along with her index finger. Some of the guests gasped, and the queen was taken aback by it.

"What do you mean, mountain girl? That's offensive!" Tatiana said. The queen was immediately flushed with embarrassment and looked over at one of the nobles who lived up in the mountains. Their eyes met, and the noble lady looked away because of the awkwardness.

The queen laughed out loud, and the others followed her lead. "How vulgar."

"Then don't mind me and talk to each other!" Tatiana smiled sweetly and gestured them to each other, "I'm just going to sit here silently and enjoy the food."

"You see, I was surprised to know that you would attend today's event!" the queen started. "I thought you would be reflecting on what you did wrong for a whole month."

"Why? What happened?" Lady Cortez asked, "If-if you mind me asking."

"Oh that?" the queen dramatically shifted on her chair, "the princess and I had a little argument. She dared to lock my great teacher in the dungeon."

"Your teacher?" one of the ladies gasped, "that's-that's preposterous!"

"I know, right? I even asked her to come all the way to this castle just to teach the princess etiquette as I was worried she would forget all about it when she was in a coma."

Tatiana was soon surrounded by whispers and judging stares. They can't help but gossip about the princess' rude behavior once again. The queen secretly smiled.

"I never asked you to give me a teacher," Tatiana simply said, "I would have been more grateful if you found the person who was responsible for the poison."

The queen's smile faded and her nails started to dig into the armrest's cushion. Tatiana smiled meaningfully at her and proceeded to sip from a cup of tea.

Meanwhile, Norma, who was sitting silently at the edge of the table, started to feel fear as she glanced in the direction of the queen. Both of her hands started to shake under the table, and she tried to steady her breath and calm herself down.