47

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

Elliot and Lady Iondale fell asleep on the bed.

It was only an hour left before sunrise. Tatiana also fell asleep on the floor beside Elliot with Bjorn's cape around her shoulder. Morgan gave his cape top Elliot and Lady Iondale.

"It's all coming to an end," Morgan muttered as he stared outside the window. The light was starting to show and the birds chirped.

"Be ready, we can't be sure if it's safe," Bjorn stood up, holding the butcher knife in his hand.

"But the prince said that it will all be over once the sun rises."

"We can't be too sure," he answered. Morgan didn't have any choice but to stand by along with his captain.

Tatiana groaned and started to wake up. She forgot that they were hiding inside the vacant room, away from the banshee. The last thing she remembered was that awfully loud shriek. It repeated a few more times until they fell asleep.

She yawned and stretched her body. The first thing she did was to check Elliot and the Lady. Once she knew that they were fine, she stood up and saw Bjorn and Morgan standing in front of the door.

"It's daytime already?" she asked and looked out the window. The sky was getting brighter with a gradient of warm colors. "I guess it'll be alright to get out now?"

"I think so too," Morgan added. He noticed something about Tatiana that he couldn't help but question, "why aren't you scared?"

"Hmm?"

"I mean, you and Elliot are the youngest here. And yet you're even taking care of the Lady who just debuted," Bjorn turned as he was curious about that too.

Tatiana laughed and said, "what do you mean? I'm ninetee—oh wow, you're right."

She completely forgot that she was inside a fifteen-year-old's body. She almost said that she was nineteen out loud. Everyone would think that she was crazy.

"I don't know," she shrugged, "I was born brave, I guess?"

"The Captain and I saw you and Emma by the window running across the hallway shrieking for your lives," Morgan said, "you even dressed like a ghost."

Tatiana zipped her mouth and her cheeks turned red. She had no say in that. She and Emma got lost inside the palace and ended up running around the hallways screaming because they felt like something was chasing after them.

It was a memory that was supposed to be buried until one's last breath.

"Oh," Tatiana scratched her head, "about that—I don't remember that, haha, what are you talking about."

"Tiana?"

"Oh! Elliot's awake!"

Elliot sat up and rubbed his eyes. Even Lady Iondale moved and woke up already. Tatiana smiled at them.

"It's morning, we're safe!"

But not everyone. The people discovered that one of the mansion's oldest maids passed away last night. What's creepy is that the room where she stayed in was only a few doors from their room, so the banshee did pass by them.

Tatiana pulled Elliot closer to her as they stood outside of the mansion in their garden. A part of her got scared. Elliot was a sick child and she was scared that something bad might happened to him. She was ready to kill a banshee and have her life cursed rather than let Elliot die.

"I guess we're going home now," Elliot said and looked around. "I don't like parties."

"Me too," Tatiana agreed. "But I hope you enjoyed your first time."

"I did, I talked with other kids and they wanted to learn more about the books I read," he answered with a slight excitement on his voice.

"Did they now? Do you know their names? We can invite them at the palace." Tatiana grinned and him.

"Really? That would be awesome!"

"Princess, Prince."

Both of them turned around when someone called. It was Lady Iondale, her older brother and Duke Iondale.

"I would like to send my sincerest gratitude. Thank you for saving my daughter and letting her stay with you," Duke Iondale said and bowed his head. His children soon followed after him and bowed their heads too.

"No worries," Tatiana told them, "it's normal for a human being to help others."

"If there is anything I could do for your highnesses, please do not hesitate to ask me for help and I will do everything in my power to be of assistance. You have our family's support and we will eternally be grateful."

Both families exchanged greetings and the Duke and his oldest son had to leave because they were dealing with the other guests. Lady Iondale smiled and held Tatiana's hand.

"I know that I am only months older than you and you will soon have your debut, but you can always come to me as an older sister to help you out," she gracefully said and bowed her head, "and also, may I come to the palace and visit you?"

"Of course, we would be happy to have you as our guest," Tatiana said. It was only the beginning of the day and the sun just risen but Tatiana already felt extremely tired. She feels like she won't be going out of her room for a few days to replenish her energy.

She looked around for Morgan and Bjorn. She saw them at the entrance of the mansion giving instructions to the other guards and briefing them about what happened. She felt something weird about Bjorn. She found him cool, acting like the captain that he is and giving orders. She found that weirdly attractive.

--

Later in the day at the Iondale's mansion...

The guests have left and the workers are cleaning up after the party when a large parcel arrived at their entrance. Lady Iondale and her father greeted the coachman.

"A gift of congratulations to the Lady of Iondale's residence from the palace," he announced and placed a large box, taller than her father in front of them. Lady Iondale was curious to see what was in the box so he had her father open it immediately.

"Goodness gracious," her father gasped after the sides of the box fell on the floor.

In front of them stood a life sized statue of Lady Iondale standing on a pedestal. She gasped and walked closer to the statue and inspected it.

"Wait," she gasped, "is this made out of pure citrine gem?!"

"Really?" her father asked, quite amused. He doesn't now how much it cost but carving it into perfect details must have been hard work.

"A note to be passed on by the king," the coachman said and handed over a paper that's folded in half. Lady Iondale and her father both read it together.

Congratulations on your debutante, Lady Iondale. As a king, I don't know what kind of gift would suit you so I asked my daughter for advice. I hope you like it.

Warm regards.

She stared back at the statue and chuckled while holding on to the yellow one in her hand.

"Just how much amount of happiness is she wishing for me?" she mumbled to herself, "This is way better than horses and jewelry."

--

END