61

Tatiana's eyes glistened with tears.

"So, you want to apply for the position of a teacher in the orphanage?" Emma asked instead of the princess. The princess was far too distraught to speak and have a formal conversation with the stranger in front of them.

The man's eyes shifted from Tatiana to Emma, as if he was distracted by the girl who looked like she was about to cry. "Yes, I heard from town that you are looking for a scholar or someone with the educational background to teach the children."

He looked too much like him. The hair, the face, the body structure, and even the way he moves and speaks is so similar to the Simon that Tatiana knew from her childhood in her past life. She can't help thinking that Simon would have looked like this if he grew up into a young man, but she knows better, that the Simon she knew would never grow up to be someone like the man in front of him.

Emma glanced at Tatiana from the side of her eyes. She does not know what to do next, and the princess is showing no signs of talking or moving. She turned her head to Bjorn and Morgan, who were standing behind them. They were also wary of the newcomer. No one seems interested in asking any more questions.

Emma sighed and pushed the plate of biscuits towards the man and smiled at him, "please help yourself with snacks."

"Ah, yes, thank you." The man picked up one piece of biscuit, but as he was about to take a bite from it, the stares were putting too much pressure on him. The girl who ran away from him looked at him like he owed her something, while the knights behind her burned a hole in him with their glares.

"Uhm," he started and faced Tatiana, "are you perhaps, familiar with me?"

Tatiana's heart sank. The man's eyes were staring right at the windows of her soul and even if he did not know her, Tatiana felt like he knew what she did in the past, like he knew everything about her. This guy wants to become a teacher at the orphanage that she's managing, which means that she will see him every time she comes to check.

"I—"

"Why do you want to teach here? The nobles are against this orphanage and the idea of turning this into homeschool and the salary is not what you expect. Surely, you've heard about the rumors so why do you want to teach here?" Bjorn cut off and asked him directly.

The guy was surprised by the sudden question, but Emma and the others turned to him and expected an answer. Bjorn had a point. He was strange for voluntarily offering to teach in a place that most of the kingdom was against.

He took a sip from the cup and glanced at Tatiana, whose face turned pale, Bjorn immediately noticed this and started to feel uncomfortable. He does not have a good feeling about the man.

"I am a son of a Baron in the outskirts of the kingdom. This month, I left home to pursue my career as a scholar, and ever since then, I wanted to teach children. I think that the kingdom needs to fix the education system and I think that everyone should have the right to study."

The princess swallowed back a lump in her throat when the man explained the situation while looking right at her. The man's stare felt like it was looking directly at her soul, and she couldn't help but be bothered by it.

"I also needed a place to stay and money to get by, and I thought that this place was perfect for me. I could also teach the children while I live independently, and I could also continue on with my studies on youth education." He added.

"Why children?" a meek voice finally came out of Tatiana's lips after staying silent for too long. Her eyes were hopeful and anticipated the answer.

The man smiled, as if he had finally succeeded in grabbing the girl's attention. He knew that she was a prominent figure in this house, someone that he should impress if he wanted to take the job.

Morgan and Bjorn's foreheads creased in unison. The man did not know that he is facing the princess and dared to smile like a fool in front of her.

"Children should have the freedom to learn and live the lives that they want when they grow up. The world is full of knowledge waiting to be learned, and if children were educated, regardless of their status, the world would become a much better place."

Nadia and the others were peeking through the door and were listening to the interview. They nodded their heads in agreement with what the young man said.

"What's your name?" Tatiana asked.

Too similar.

Her heart was racing, and her hands turned cold. She did not want to think about the possibilities because these are two different worlds. This world might feel like it's real, but it's only a world inside the book and nothing else. This is an only coincidence if ever what she's thinking is true.

The man stood up and bowed at them, "Simon. Simon Pitsborough."

Tatiana let out a shaky breath. She could not believe what she was hearing. Different people with the same name and same face. It's impossible. Did the author know about this? Is he even included in the story in the first place?

Bjorn immediately looked at Tatiana, her expression says it all. He turned to the man whose eyes were fixated on the princess and smiled knowingly as if he knew exactly what he was doing. This might be the man that Tatiana mentions in her dreams. The man was named Simon.

But if it was the same Simon that the princess was talking about, why does the princess look like she saw a ghost?

"Emma, I'd like to go to my room first."

--

END