73

The party was at night, and yet Tatiana woke up when the rest of the world was still asleep.

The sun had not even risen yet, but Emma came crashing through her doors, startling her awake. She looked around with her half-opened eyes to see if the palace was on fire, but it wasn't. When she was going back to sleep, Emma forced her to sit and woke her up saying that it was the day of her party and she needed to prepare.

"Emma, don't you know what time it is? The party doesn't start until late in the afternoon!" Tatiana complained. She barely had enough sleep last night because she and Elliot kept talking. Even Elliot was sleeping and softly snoring beside her, with a stuffed bear in his arms.

Emma pulled her up and shook her. "Princess, there are still a lot of things to prepare! We need to bathe you in milk and rose petals so your skin will be in its best condition before Sir Miguel arrives to fit and alter your gown!"

Tatiana groaned and complained, but knowing Emma, she would never be able to go back to sleep. Her mood wasn't quite good and she envied Elliot, who was still sleeping in her bed. Lucky for him, he's not going through this painful process. Why is her sixteenth birthday so special anyway? People come to the palace and celebrate her birthday, even when she doesn't even know them.

It took an awful lot of time to get her bathed, dressed in a robe, and do other things that would make her look pretty and her skin healthy. She had trouble keeping herself awake until Emma made her wash her face with cold water, as it makes the skin firm, she says. That stuff woke her up in seconds.

By this time, the sun was up in the sky and Elliot was escorted by his servant to go to his chambers and also prepare. Miguel also arrived with the other assistants that he hired especially for this day. They were pulling a large trolley full of suitcases that Tatiana assumed had makeup and accessories inside.

Usually, she uses her own accessories, but since she sold most of them to raise funds for the orphanage, she had to borrow from Miguel.

It took hours to do her make-up and hair. Her butt was becoming numb because of sitting too long. And even though she was hungry, she was only allowed to eat a few pieces of berries just to suppress her hunger.

"Today, you will officially debut into society, your highness," Miguel reminded her, "You need to be extravagant when you face them. You should be the standard of beauty at the party."

"I like being called pretty, but what I don't like is sitting in front of people without eating because my dress is too tight."

"Beauty comes with a price, princess." Miguel gently turned her head to face the mirror. "And as a future queen, you should get used to making sacrifices."

Miguel never failed to impress her. He always found ways to make her even more beautiful than before. She thought that maybe this was the peak of her beauty. She can't even recognize herself in the mirror.

"Woah," she gasped.

"I know right," Miguel said, smiling with satisfaction. "You can take a break and we will fit your gown later."

"Thank goodness!" Tatiana sighed and stood up. She stretched her body and felt the release of her tense muscles. It felt so good to be able to stand up and move after hours.

Suddenly, they heard a loud bang from the outside. Tatiana turned and ran towards the window, where Emma immediately pulled her back.

"The party is only a few hours away," Emma told her. "You should be careful, princess."

"But didn't you hear that bang? Shouldn't we be concerned?" Tatiana looked around all confused.

"Oh that," Miguel sat down and poured himself a cup of tea and crossed his legs, "Maybe the hunt has ended already."