76

"Who?" Tatiana asked, panting.

Marie let go of her hand and ran inside, leaving her at the entrance. Tatiana was surprised and curious to see what the lady was up to. She started walking towards the inside and followed the petals that were sprinkled on the ground, forming a path.

The place was silent and empty. Even Lady Iondale disappeared from sight. Tatiana thought that maybe the lady was only playing a prank on her. Morgan and Bjorn, who were supposed to follow them, were also nowhere to be found.

"Tiana," a small voice called just as she was about to exit the venue. Elliot was standing in the center of the garden with a smile on his face. Tatiana immediately lit up and walked toward him.

"Elliot! Where were you? I was looking for you all night!" she cheerfully said and gave him a hug.

"I was busy preparing this!" he answered.

"Preparing what?"

"Happy birthday, princess!"

A crowd of people started coming out from all sides of the garden. Tatiana gasped when she realized who it was. Nadia, Faye, and Loid were there, smiling and greeting her. William and Emma were holding a cake; and Simon, along with Norma, walked out together with the kids that were lined up and were holding flowers.

Tatiana leaned down when a kid walked up to her and placed a flower wreath on her head. The kids started giving her birthday cards, flowers, and even their favorite toys. Her heart started to melt and her eyes started to tear up.

"Awww, you guys!" she started to bawl. She was crying so hard that her lips curved downwards with her mouth open. The people around her laughed, watched her with love, and some even looked at her apologetically.

"The princess shouldn't cry like that," Emma sighed and wiped the tears that fell on the corner of her eyes, "Her expression isn't something that a princess should make."

"Ah, let the child be," William told her and sighed while looking at the princess hugging each of the children. "She deserves this much love."

"I agree," Emma nodded. Everyone decided to attend the small get-together.

Everyone was there, including Morgan, Bjorn, and the rest of the knights, to join the party. Mr. and Mrs. Red baked the cake and other desserts as well. Even Miguel joined the party as the entertainer. Luther and Marie Iondale were the ones who organized the secret surprise party for the princess and planned it together with the people from the orphanage.

Bjorn gave a bouquet of sunflowers to the princess, and everyone howled to tease him. He didn't plan any of it. Luther was the one who handed him the bouquet and told him to give it to the princess.

Tatiana bawled and cried out loud, "You guys are the best!" Everyone laughed at her expression. How could someone cry that much at their own birthday party?

This was the best birthday party ever. Everyone was there to celebrate it with her. There were no expensive gifts, no one kissing her, no one expecting special treatment, and everyone there genuinely liked her. There was nothing more that she could ask for.

For the first time in her life, she felt like there was a place she belonged. For the first time in her life, she was genuinely happy being surrounded by people who made her happy. This time she wasn't alone, and this time she really made new relationships with other people.

The night grew deeper, and everyone was busy drinking and playing. Tatiana took some air into the pond that she visited once. She remembered crying here and how Morgan found her. She thought that Morgan was there, but she saw Bjorn instead.

"Are you drunk?" she asked him as a joke when she approached.

"I don't drink," Bjorn answered naturally. He knew that the princess was there because he was staring at her through the water's reflection.

"Wow, as expected of a captain," Tatiana nodded, "your troops are already wasted inside."

"They will be regretting that by tomorrow."

"You should cut them some slack," she smiled and sat down on the fountain with him. Bjorn flinched when their skin touched each other. Tatiana scoffed and laughed. "Don't worry, I'm not here to push myself on you."

They both sat down in silence. The lanterns were their only source of light, aside from the moon. And strangely enough, the water shimmered and glowed along with it. Tatiana stared down at her reflection and still could not believe that this is her. She swayed her feet and closed her eyes, trying to get a grasp of reality.

She was scared that she would wake up one day and be back to her previous lonely life.

"Bjorn, this might be selfish of me, but I really want to live a happy life here." Tatiana's voice sounded gentle and alluring. "And to do that, I need your help."

"How so?" Bjorn asked her, "you've been living fine, up until now."

Tatiana faced her with a surprisingly sad expression. She smiled but it didn't reach her eyes.

"If you only knew," she whispered. "Can you still be my fiancé? Just until the promised time comes. I just need you so that father won't marry me to someone else and use it to tie me down. I have a lot of things that I want to do and I won't be able to do that if I get married."

Bjorn didn't answer.

"I promise I'll let you go," she pleaded, "when the person that you will love with all your life arrives, I promise to disappear and not to get in between you two."

Bjorn still did not respond. But a part of him felt angry when she said she'll disappear. She's sixteen now and things will change from now on.

--

END