01

I walk along the shallow creek bed, using a stick to turn the mud.

"I bet he's just messing with us."Scottie says from behind me.

"There's gotta be something here. "I say before turning back.

"Anything?!"I call over to Dorian who was searching another area with a few other officers.

"Not yet!"he calls back.

"Uhg, he's so optimistic."Scottie says, splashing around in the water with her stick.

"Are you going to help look, Scottie?"I ask.

"You know I don't like your cheating ass dad."she says before hitting her vape.

"I don't really like him either, but it's for mom."I say softly, trudging through the shallow water.

But suddenly I stop, seeing something glimmering in the water.

I lean down, reaching into the water and pulling out a familiar set of keys that were caked in mud.

My lips quiver as I look back.

"I found something!"

....

The creek had now become a crime scene, as they were going to drag the bottom to find a body.

He wasn't here though. I could feel it.

Dorian approaches and sits next to me on the bench I rested on.

"You did a good job, Dede."he says, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

I lean against him and huff as he soothingly rubs my back.

"You're one of the strongest people I know. I know this is taking a lot of you."he says, causing me to shrug.

"It's not for him. I could care less for him."I say.

He chuckles, kissing my head.

"I know that babe."

....

After dragging the creek and only succeeding in cleaning the trash from the bottom, we find a singular shoe.

One that very obviously belonged to my father.

But not him.

"Son of a bitch. That son of a bitch."Dorian says, shaking his head in disappointment.

"We have to go see him again, don't we."I say, walking over to him.

He sighs and nods.

"You don't have to go, but I doubt I'll get anything out of him if you're not there."he says.

"I'll go, I'm just not touching him. And I mean it this time."I say.

"Dede come on."he sighs.

"I'm doing you a favor just by going to the jail. I told you I didn't want to see him again."I say, walking away from him.

"Babe it's just till we find your dad."he says, walking after me.

"I don't care about my dad!"I shout, shocking him.

"Don't you understand what he did to me? You were there, Dorian. Don't you understand?"I ask, my lips quivering.

I see a look of hurt as he remembers saving me from the church.

"I'm sorry. Okay, don't touch him."he says, taking both my hands.

"Do you want to go home?"

"Yes, I want to go home."I say softly as he chuckles.

"Okay, let's go."

....

Andy

I sit up on my bed, sketching in my book an outline of Addison's face.

I hear a groan coming from below, and I roll my eyes as I look over.

"Didn't I say silence when I'm drawing?"I say.

My cellmate Ash, a 22 year old in for aggravated assault, takes in a sharp breath and then holds it, shuffling.

I roll my eyes again as I close my sketchbook.

I lay back, looking at the portraits I had of her on the wall by the bed.

"You know...your little girlfriend doesn't visit as much as she should."Ash says.

"Silence, or I'll beat you within an inch of your life."I say, closing my eyes.

"...I bet she's fucking that cop too.."

"Be fucking quiet."

"....I bet she doesn't even love you anymore."

I angrily huff, sitting up and looking down from the top bunk to the bottom.

But I see no one there.

"Oh. Right."I say quietly.

I sit back up and lay back against the stiff pillow, looking up at Addison's face.

"...I wish I was with you."I say softly.

....

Addison

"I promise."Dorian says as we enter his house.

"Don't say that if you don't mean it."I say as he closes the door behind me.

"But I do mean it, I always mean it."Dorian says.

"Well excuse me for having trust issues, the last time I trusted I almost got burned to death."I say, walking towards the bedroom as I hear him sigh.

"Babe."

I stop, turning to face him.

He opens his arms.

"Come here."he demands.

I stay put, smirking.

"Don't be stubborn. Come here."

I smile and walk over to him, allowing him to embrace me and pick me up.

"Alright. No more work stuff today."he says as I wrap my legs around his waist.

"You always say that."I smile as he begins walking us to his bedroom.

"Yea but I mean it this time."he smirks, his hands gripping my waist.

"Oh, really?"I chuckle as he carries me into the room, plopping me down on his bed before taking off his jacket and badge.

"Yup."he says, leaning down and placing his lips against mine.

I chuckle, cupping his cheeks as I deepen the kiss.