Chapter 22

The phone rang continuously waking up the couple that had gone early to bed. Mrs Bella got startled by the constant ringing of the phone and got up from the bed. Her husband growled in his sleep before he grabbed a pillow and covered his ears.

"Who would be calling at this time of the night?" He hissed out and pressed the pillows to cover his ears from the ringing noise that it created.

"Relax honey, I'll go see who's calling at this hour," Mrs Bella removed the covers and got up from the bed and walked a bit faster into the living room. She reached over to her phone that was put into charge. She narrowed her eyes seeing the number and the words unknown number written on her screen.

She was hesitant at first to pick up the call that didn't stop ringing but then it was disturbing their sleep. She disconnected the call, "Must be a prank call." She whispered to herself and was heading back to her room when her phone buzzed again turning her head back to her phone. She heard her husband giving out annoying sounds clearly upset with the buzzing of her phone.

"please just answer the call honey," She heard Christopher say from the room. "Okay," She walked back to her phone and saw it was still the same unknown number that was constantly calling her. She wandered who might be constantly calling her.

She answered the call and placed the phone on her right ear, "Hello, who is this and why are you calling me so late at night?" Mrs Bella asked annoyed.

"Mom," Lionel's voice came into the background. Mrs Bella instantly became numb and she froze on her spot. She could tell he wasn't okay from his tone of voice. She didn't know how to react or feel, it's been years since she had heard from him and now, her whole body shooked with so many emotions coming to her all at once.

She heaved a deep sigh and blinked trying to control the tears that had already flooded her eyes. She didn't want to cry before the person who didn't care one bit about her. She fought back in her tears and sniffled putting on a stoic face.

"What do you want?" She asked.

There was silence afterwards from the background and Mrs Bella's heart welled up wanting to hear his voice again, she knew he was still on the phone as she could clearly hear his breathing over the phone.

"Forgive me, am sorry I called you so late at night." She blinked again after he spoke before she immediately spoke, "No! Don't hang up. Please." Mrs Bella couldn't help herself from sobbing silently, she quickly stepped out of the house and into the balcony to talk. She didn't want Christopher to hear anything.

"What's wrong? I can tell something's wrong, please tell me." She sniffled and seemed worried. Lionel on the other hand also fought hard not to break right now, hearing his mother's voice after so long also brought out lots of emotions from him that were hidden away. How he missed her so much but then again, he believed she wouldn't want to see him nor hear from him.

It was difficult for him to stay away all these years without having to talk with her in person nor on the phone. Though he always parked his car on the other side of the road while his parents' house was on the opposite side. His car had dark windows making it hard for anyone to stop him but the loneliness of not having his parents by his side never left him.

"Nothing that serious mom. I just couldn't help myself from calling you. How are you?" He asked as a tear fell down on his cheek. Mrs Bella was surprised he was asking her about her health and well-being. "And you're asking me this now? After more than five years, are you actually serious Lionel. Not once did you ask your mother how she felt and instead went on ahead making billions for yourself.

Lionel became confused by her outburst. According to what he recalled from his father's words, he never expected his mom to act this way. "I don't understand mom. What are you saying?" He asked.