60

Annie's POV

It was no secret that I should be terrified. Looking over at Wilmer, he looked more confused than scared. I, for one, feel like I'm about to pass out.

What did she mean by lock the doors and make sure the alarm is on? Does she think something bad is going to happen?

"I'm going to be right back." Wilmer tried sounding calm, but you could tell there was some hesitance in his voice.

I nodded, letting him leave the room. My rapid heartbeat and shaking body wouldn't let me sit still, so I slowly walked over to the window.. Just in case.

I fingered the necklace Wilmer gave me months ago, wearily gazing out the window. It's like I feel something is going to randomly pop out or a bunch of people in black clothing are going to attack. I know none of the above are going to happen, but im still afraid of what my biological mother is capable of.

I intently watched the street and my front gated yard, until I saw lights from down the road. I watched as a black car drove by painfully slow. I couldn't see a face, the windows were tinted. It was probably just a tourist. I'm making something a bigger deal than what it is.

Turning my attention back to the window, I saw Demi's car pulling in. I have to go meet her downstairs. Still shaken up, I sucked in a breath to calm down my anxiety.

I walked right up to the door and swung it open, sprinting down the pitch dark staircase. I went to turn the corner, and ran into a person who tightened their grip around me. They got me! The bad guy got me! There was someone in the house!

"NO!" I screamed and began kicking and screaming, swatting my arms around. "NO! NO, NO, NO!"

I was screaming so loud to make sure Demi heard me or especially Wilmer who is somewhere in the house. I was screaming so loud I couldn't even hear my own thoughts, let alone whoever was holding me captive.

Before I knew it, the foyer lights switched on, along with the living room and kitchen lights.

"ANNIE!" I heard Demi scream. "BABY, QUIT!"

I opened my eyes to see a horribly concerned Demi with her arms wide open, running to me.

I finally flung myself off of the person and into Demi's arms. I instinctively wrapped my legs around her torso and my arms around her neck, whimpering and breathing heavily into her shoulder.

"Baby, what is wrong?!" She asked.

"She was coming down the stairs," I heard an out of breath Wilmer explain. "It was so dark, and she ran right into me and began to stumble and I thought she was going to fall so I grabbed her real fast and she began screaming and freaking out. I didn't know what was happening, so I picked her up and then.."

"Oh, baby." Demi said, running her hands through my hair. "It's okay, your okay, I'm okay."

I was embarrassed now. Totally humiliated. I'm so dramatic.

"It was just Wilmer." Demi whispered. "It's okay. Let's go to bed."

"I can carry her up the stairs." Wilmer said.

I watched as a wave of uncertainty and jealousy ran across Demi's face, but then she relaxed and handed me over. I'm fourteen. I can walk. But, hey, if they think I'm that unstable and think I need carried.. So let them.

"I'm sorry, Annie." Wilmer spoke. "I was just trying to protect you."

"I know."

He followed Demi into my room and gently laid me down in my bed. Still shaking, I grabbed the blankets and pulled them up to my chin.

I watched Wilmer leave the room as Demi walked into my closet to change into her pajamas.

I turned my head to look out my big window and saw the same black car driving by again. Quit it, Annie. It probably wasn't even the same black car. I'm making assumptions just like I did when I thought Wilmer was a bad guy. Your mother wants you to come live with her. That's it. She's not going to send a pack of killers to get me.

The lights switched off and my breath hitched in my throat. When the bed shifted, I knew it was only Demi.

She rolled over and wrapped her arm around my torso, pulling me tighter into her embrace.

"You are my daughter. No one else's. Mine. I won't let anyone else get you." She promised.

"Love you, mom." I whispered, slowly slipping into unconsciousness.

"I love you more." She kissed my forehead.

Demi's POV

I waited until I was sure that Annie was asleep to slip out of her bed and walk down the hall to my room.

Wilmer was seated up against the headboard, rapidly typing on his computer.

"What do I do?" My lip curling as tears threatened to spill.

"Baby girl, come here." He said opening his arms.

I laid my head on his shoulder as I silently cried.

"Nothing is going to happen." He promised.

"But, but-"

"No buts." He commanded. "That woman may be crazy, but we're not letting her get to Annie nor us."

I shook my head and continued to cry. She will not stop.

I just don't know if I should tell Annie or not...

She's crazy. She's been locked up for extreme violence.. Almost killed a few people before. All because she cannot stop experimenting with drugs and alcohol.

The cops have been looking for her all day.. They say she drives a black car.

But she's nowhere to be seen.