Chapter 44

Demi's POV

I can't breathe.

Everything is spinning. This isn't real life. I know I didn't see them put an oxygen mask on my baby and I know they didn't follow her bed with a crash cart... But I did see it.

I can't breathe.

Everything is in slow motion. First, I fell to the floor, the pain hitting me all at once. The realization that my baby girl has a huge chance of death hit me like a moving truck.

I can't breathe.

Everything is happening so fast. Before I knew it, I was on my knees in the bathroom dry heaving. My hands are shaking. My mind is racing. My heart is braking.

I can't breathe.

Everything is closing in on me. I drew in sharp breath after sharp breath, bringing on an anxiety attack. Breathe. Breathe. Dry heave. Breathe again.

Get up, Demi. News about your baby girl might be waiting for you.

But I can't breathe.

How could this happen? She was perfectly fine three hours ago. I must've done something so terrible in my life that this has to happen to me. God doesn't just take a perfect baby girl for no reason.

I scrambled up to my feet, and trembling, made my way to the waiting room where I sat. Before I call anyone, I need to think.

I try to imagine a life without Annie, but I can't. It's impossible. She has to be okay, because I can't live without her. I cannot live to see a day without her. I can't.

I remember hearing heart wrenching sobs and immediately knowing it as Annie. My heart instantly sank when I saw the excruciating pain evident in her eyes and body motion. When I picked her up, I was covered in sweat. Not from myself, but from her.

She was in so much pain she couldn't sit still. She never stopped pleading for me and it broke my heart so fucking much that there was nothing I could've done. She was gripping my hand so tight. I knew something bad had happened when she stopped screaming and her body relaxed. It was a mere matter of seconds before her eyes.. I can't even think about it. Fuck.

I know I need to tell certain people about Annie. I don't want a huge crowd drawn, though.

I stood from my chair and walked over to a window, isolating myself from everyone and everything. I picked up my phone wit trembling hands and dialed my moms number. It's 3 am. Hopefully she picks up.

"Hello? Demi?" My moms raspy voice asked through the phone. She was asleep.

"Mom.." I said, swallowing back the lump in my throat.

"Demetria? Are-"

"Mom," I choked out, "Something t-terrible happened."

"What is it Demi? What happened?!"

I told her the whole story, sobbing all over again. You would think I'd be all cried out, but I guess not.

"I'm on my way! Stay strong okay, Demi? I love you baby girl. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

I'm so jealous of my mom. She has three little girls who are perfectly fine while mine is suffering in an OR room.

"Love you too." I mumbled, hanging up.

I sent a group message to Wilmer and Marissa explaining them a summery of what had happened. Not bothering to read what they say back, I turned my phone off and put it in my back pocket.