Chapter 40

Demi's POV

"Come on, buddy." I said snapping my fingers. Buddy strictly obeyed and followed right beside me up the stairs to Annie's room.

"Let's wake your..." I thought about it. Uh? "... Sister up."

I kind of giggled and opened Annie's bedroom door open where Buddy excitedly rushed over and jumped onto her bed.

I smiled as I walked over and sat on the edge of the bed while Buddy licked all over Annie's face in attempt to wake her up.

"Buddy," Annie whined. "What are you doing?"

I laughed and said, "Come on, baby. It's ten thirty and we have to get to the studio. I let you sleep in as long as possible."

Usually I go to the studio kind of early and I'm back at home a little after lunch but I know Annie doesn't want to be apart from me, so I'm taking her with me.

"Okay." Annie said, rubbing her eyes and sitting up.

"I'm going to go put Buddy up while you get dressed. Throw on some sweats or something." I said, leaning over and kissing her forehead. "Good morning, by the way."

She smiled. "Good morning."

I stood up and started walking to the door when I saw Buddy still laying on Annie's bed. I clapped, "Come on, buddy!"

I waited as Buddy jumped off her bed and scrambled down the hallway. "Fifteen minutes, baby girl."

I walked down the stairs and opened the laundry room door where Buddy can run around while we're gone. Yes, I put down a bunch of towels and I put away everything that he could chew up.

Walking into the kitchen, I grabbed my keys off the counter and walked over to the door. I was about to call for Annie before she came bounding down the stairs in comfy clothes, phone in one hand, and a book in the other.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Ready." She said, walking up beside me.

She walked outside while I set the alarm, and locked the door. It's so sunny and pretty out. I wish Annie was on break forever.

I backed up out of the driveway while Annie plugged in the aux cord and played a song I was unfamiliar with.

We were only five minutes down the road when Annie started yawning and I could see her struggle to keep her eyes open.

"How late did you stay up?" I asked.

"Five." She said barely audible over her tired voice.

"How? I was laying beside you the whole night! What were you doing?" I asked.

Was she just laying awake in the darkness of her own thoughts all night? I know for a face she hasn't been having positive self thoughts so the thought of that makes me sick.

"I was watching Greys Anatomy." She said, turning as much on her side towards me as her seat belt would allow her.

"You only got five hours of sleep. Usually you get ten, Annie." I said.

"I know." She mumbled as her eyes fluttered shut, but then quickly opened again. "I'm kind of tired."

"How about you take a quick nap and then I'll wake you when we get there." I said. She nodded and leaned the seat back, then fell asleep in an instant.

Last night I woke up several times and Annie was sleeping. No phone in her hand and she was facing me.

I looked up ahead on the interstate and saw so much traffic and everyone was stopped. Uhg. I sat behind a car and impatiently tapped my fingers on the steering wheel.