Chapter 41

Demi's POV

I heard Annie's silent snores beside me as I typed in, 'Signs that your teenager is depressed' on Google.

If anyone is going to know depression first hand, it would be me. I'm pro at knowing all the signs, but just in case I want to see other people's opinions too.

Sadness or hopelessness

Annie has been sad a lot lately over school, Conner, and bullying. I'm pretty sure she's seen the negativity on Twitter even though I told her we're taking a break off social media. So yes, check for the first sign.

Irritability, anger, or hostility

Not that I know of.

Tearfulness or frequent crying.

Check.

Withdrawal from friends or family.

Big check. Even though I'm with her all the time, she's had that yearning for me lately. Withdrawals. Damn it. Check.

Loss of interest and activity.

Not yet.

Changes in eating and sleeping habits.

CHECK. She barely ate anything today. She took forever on that one Funyun. She did eat a whole footlong, but something just seems off. Then when we were in the car she said she stayed up till five. Fuck. Check.

Restlessness and Irritation

Ehh.. Not really.

Feelings of worthlessness and guilt.

Unfortunately, check.

Thoughts of suicide or death.

No! No. She would tell me. It definitely hasn't got that far, I know it.

But there's one fact I have to face.

My heart sank.

Annie is depressed.

••

It's 3 am and I still haven't quit crying.

How could I have prevented this? What could I do now? Do I come out and tell her I was creepin on her phone? Do I take her to my therapist?

One website said to wait a week and see if she comes to me after I inform her multiple times that I'm always there. I tell her that all the time, though. And I don't want to wait. I need to talk to her. I don't want her to feel hurt anymore.

I looked over at the sleeping girl next to me. She had her arm draped over my stomach and her head was rested on my shoulder. Our legs were entertained and she looked so peaceful. Gosh, I love her so much. I don't think it's possible to love a human as much as I love her.

"Annie," I whispered, even though I knew she couldn't hear me. "Please don't be sad. You are so perfect. Please, come talk to me. I will never judge you. We're best friends. I love you."

I waited in the silence for her to bolt up and spill her feelings to me and for us to work things out, but the only thing I heard was her breathing.

I kissed her forehead and pulled the covers farther up over us.

"Goodnight, I love you." I whispered into the darkness.

Wilmers POV

I jogged up the steps to Demi's front door and made my way in. We're going to the gym today and then maybe lunch.. Me and my girls.