Chapter 23

Annie's POV

Sometimes in life it feels like the universe waits for one time to drop everything on you at once. It feels as if it was destiny for this part of your life to be hell. And that's how this feels.

As the name 'Conner' fell out of Marissa's mouth, my first instinct was to jump over the table into Demi's arms, but that was obviously not an option right now.

"Annie?" Demi whispered.

Every second that passed, the more real it felt. I suddenly felt the urge of my salad making it's great return, but I swallowed it down. This can't be happening.

"Is.. Is he... Dead?" I mumbled, tears brimming my eyes at the thought of Conner actually being dead.

"All it says is that he had been hospitalized..." Marissa said, rapidly tapping and scrolling on her phone.

I gulped and tried to think of how we didn't know about this. Was there signs? The last time I talked to Conner was... Before we got on the tour bus.

"It makes sense," I spat out quickly, "Oh my go- he's dead."

I suddenly felt the walls get smaller around us and my chest tightening up. Conner is dead.

"Annie, he isn't- we don't know if he's dead," Demi said.

"He didn't text me back, or tweet, or call because... He's dead. I was mad at him for not replying but he's.. Dead!" I choked out.

"Come on," Madison basically cried, yanking on my sleeve, "Guys, we have to go!"

"Yeah," Wilmer agreed, "Let's get out of here."

I nodded and stood up as Marissa supported me from behind. I didn't realize how shaken up I already was until I felt how wobbly my legs were.

When we got into the car, I sat between Marissa and Demi while Wilmer drove back to the hotel with Madison in the passenger seat.

Marissa and Demi made many attempts to talk to me, but I regretfully ignored them all, and laid my head on Demi's lap. Faking it or not, I want to be asleep where Conner will be there and where Demi and I are back to our normal relationship.

Demi's POV

This could not have happened at a worse time. Ever.

When we got to the hotel, it was time to get on the buss to start heading home to LA. We have three days before Staples Center, which means three days off. Marissa is currently in her bunk, trying to get ahold of anyone that could tell us anything about Conner.

Annie refused to talk to anyone about anything, and is in her own bunk right now (she promised to get out once she started to fall asleep). We decided to give her space until tomorrow.. That's what she needs. Even if it isn't what I think she needs.

Wilmer is on the couch, watching TV and Madison is in her bunk, leaving me alone in my bed.

I wish that I wouldn't have been so angry at Annie the other night that I actually told her to leave. Why the fuck would I say that?! It's not like I was actually going to let her leave.. So I just had Marissa come.

Gosh, Annie hates me right now. It mended my heart a little when she wore my shirt and laid her head on my lap, but there are still things that need to be fixed. Maybe these little days off will help.

I shut off all the lights, and laid down, staring at the ceiling, only being slightly lit by the Halloween decorations across the headboard.

I heard the sliding door open, but I kept my focus on the ceiling, knowing it was Wilmer coming to bed.