I'll be fine

We left, and now we're on the way home.

"Geo, can you tell me now, please?" I ask.

He leans back further in his seat, left arm on the window and the right driving. He switches and puts his left arm on the steering wheel, and his right on my thigh, "we almost died. I keep having these nightmares, and in each one, you always end up dying. I'm scared that it's more of a premonition instead of a nightmare."

Geo's just like any other guy in a relationship. Always feeling the need to protect his significant other. I love that about him, but it could get him killed one day.

"Sometimes you need to let me take care of myself, Geo. You know that if you keep revolving the world around me and me only, you could die right? Please don't feel bad for anything that happens to me. None of what happened was your fault, baby, I promise." I say. I pick his hand up off of my thigh and kiss it.

"It is though, Kia. I don't know why I chased you knowing what kind of business I run. You being with me is danger-"

"No. Don't you do it. Don't you dare fucking do that to me," I say and drop his hand.

He's going to try and break up with me over this, but I'm not letting him. I need him.

"Princess, you know it's probably for the best. I have so many enemies out there and with all that went down, they know you're mine."

"Exactly. I already have a target on my back, Geo. I might as well just stick around. How about you teach me how to protect myself." I offer.

"No. You shouldn't have to know how. It's my job to protect you." he puts his hand back.

"But it's not. I'm twenty freaking years old, Geo. I should know how to carry my own. I'm just dead weight if I don't."

"No, you're not!" he shouts.

We pull up to the house and Geo parks the car but neither one of us get out, and Geo doesn't look at me either.

"Please, Geo. You can't end this. I need you," a tear falls from my eye and onto his hand.

He looks up and over at me: he's teary eyed too, "princess." he wipes my face.

"You can't leave me. It's not allowed. Our break-up has to be mutual or it doesn't count. So get out and teach me how to use a gun."

He smiles, "okay."

He gets out of the car, and instead of coming to open my door, he looks at me through the windshield and mouths, "don't get out."

What? Why?

He reaches in his pocket and pulls a gun out before continuing to the door: it's open.

"Dear, God, please watch over him. Don't let anything happen to him, please." I pray.

Two minutes go by and a gun shot rings off.

I don't just sit there: not even for a second. I get out of the car and rush into the house. No one's down here so I run upstairs.

Geo's fine, but whoever was in here isn't.

"Oh, my gosh. Who was that?" I ask in panic.

"I don't know, but it's not safe here. Grab a few clothes and whatever essentials you'll need."

____

We got our clothes, and now we're meeting up with Dad and the rest of the guys and Ma's house.

"Kia, are you okay? Are you hurt?" Daddy asks.

"Yes, I'm fine. Geo wouldn't let me out of the car until he made sure it was safe." I nod.

Daddy looks at Geo, and gives him a nod as a "thank you". Geo nods back in response.

"That house isn't safe at all anymore." Kai says.

"Right. And soon, ours won't be either." Sully adds.

"I know, I just need to think... about where to go from here."
Geo walks off.

I wait about 5 minutes before going after him. He's in my old room.

"Geo?" I call.

He doesn't answer me.

I walk over to him and touch his shoulder but he shrugs me off.

"Talk to me," I demand.

"Just let me think, Kia." he says in an irritated tone.

"Please tell me what you're thinking. You're so hard to read, Geo. I can help!"

"Kia, please. Let me be by myself so I can figure out a way to get us out of this shit."

"I won't get in the way, I swear. Just give me the gist of what you're thinking and I can come up with a plan-"

"Kia, can you stop for one second! I told you to give me a few damn minutes alone so I can figure this shit out! All you're doing is making this shit worse; and I'm trying to fucking protect you, but I can't when you're always in something! Let me fucking think!" he shouts... at me.

I don't like being yelled at. Never have. And I never cried when I got yelled at either, I would just yell back. But not this time.

My throat feels tight, and my heart is beating fast.

"I'm sorry; I just wanted to help," I cry.

He takes a deep breath and runs both of his hands over his face.

I stay for a few more seconds to see if he would apologize, but he doesn't say anything.

Everyone comes in to see what happened, but I leave as they enter.

"Where are you going, Key?" Sully asks.

"I-I don't know," my voice shakes. I walk out of the door and slam it shut.

I didn't mean to be a hinderance, I just wanted to help. I should've listened and left him alone. I feel like I'm just making all of their lives harder. They had to call Rio back just to come and help me. He was in Puerto Rico and I'm the reason he had to leave his family. He's not in a relationship or anything, so he has no wife or girlfriend but he has a kid. Sully still likes me but he's still sticking around. Kai was already in the business but him and Daddy have been doing everything to keep me safe. And Geo: gosh. I'm all he's worried about. It's like he doesn't care about anything other than me. I'm only hurting them.

I walk to the car and grab my bag out of there and run as far and long as I can. I'm just going to leave and start over. I have money but I don't have a car. I'll take a train to a near hotel and plot from there.

____

I just got on the train, and now I'll call Kai.

"Kia, where are you? I'll come pick you up." he says.

"I'm leaving and I don't think I'll back. Please, stay safe and watch over Geo for me. Daddy too. I love you." I say.

"Kia! Kia don't han-"

I click end call.

I want to cry again, but I can't. I brought this on myself. I shouldn't have stayed so sheltered growing up. I remember Ma trying to teach me how to use a gun, but I kept telling her no. I should've just listened and did it. Now me not knowing what to do has gotten me nowhere but in a deep ass hole, that no one can bring me out of... no, no. That no one should have to bring me out of. It's all up to me now; to take care of myself. I can do it.

I'll be fine.