CHAPTER 21: A STEP AHEAD

A Step Ahead: 21

Ava was mortified. The banging on the door increased while she was automatically covered in a thin layer of sweat. She didn't mean to threaten the King or intended to call him by his name. But what happened?

She didn't have an idea of how she dared to call someone powerful like him with his name without any honorifics. It felt real and oddly familiar that she didn't realise she was doing something wrong.

While Ava's face was constantly getting paler and paler, Lucas was, still, on the bed, drowsily, staring at his mate with nothing but adoration. He was, of course, in his right mind and pretty much loved how the mortal Queen simply threatened him by also calling his name.

Now, h could remember that his name was Lucas Aston. Yes, it's been more than two decades since someone called him by his name.

Trust the writer, it's been two decades since he had heard his name being called. Maybe, he had heard his name once when he was coronated as the King of the country, roughly, 18 years ago.

" Who's it? " Ava finally asked gulping all of the anxiety and dread inside as the banging on the door only increased time by time which also brought the King out of his trance.

" Your Majesty! Is His Majesty in here? "

Ava had to pinpoint the voice and paled even more when she realised that it was the King's Knight, Aslan. The banging only started when she threatened the King. If he had heard her threatening the King, what's going to happen to her?

" Majesty, Majesty! " Aslan continuously banged on the door. He knew he might be in trouble if he was found banging on the chamber in the mid of the hour, even though it has been made a rule that chambers should never be banged or even made noise if the Queen was inside.

He had been searching for the King for the past ten minutes and couldn't find the Royal heir anywhere. He just left him to park their vehicle in the Royal garage but guess what? The King suddenly decided to take a night stroll.

Ava clumsily tried to walk towards the door to just let the Knight in when all of a sudden, Lucas grabbed her hands and yelled at the top of his lungs.

" I'M NOT HERE. JUST GO AWAY. "

The bangings immediately came to a halt as Aslan, faintly, heard the King yelling inside the chamber with his ears firmly pressed onto the door.

He knew the King was drunk and also knew that he had great self-control. So with a sigh of relief, he left the chamber without making any noise further.

Ava, who almost had a panic attack by then hearing Lucas's scream suddenly gawked at the sight of Lucas asking the same question again but now, obediently, lying on the bed.

" Tell me, Ava, answer me. "

" Majes- "

" No, no, majesty. My name is Lucas Aston, call me by my name. My name is Lucas Aston and not Majesty! Call me Lucas if you want me to hear you- "

Ava blinked for a while before gathering the situation into her hand. She took a deep breath and walked towards him to push him onto the bed as she noticed the King's eyes often closing for a rest.

" Answer me... " he mumbled when she started combing his hair. Ava felt something different and could swear that she felt a slight of shivers run through her spine. The King's hair was so smooth and soft.

" Sleep, Lucas... " she mumbled softly, settling all of her anxiety and dread aside for a while, so, that the King would sleep and she could scream her frustration out.