CHAPTER 36: SORRY

Sorry: 36

" Should I go take some more apples? " Aslan was surprised to see the Queen devouring the apples he brought while the other fruits were kept untouched.

But Ava shook her head with a small thankful smile and chose to quench her thirst with the drink. Breathing in the open space had done her good since Ava had no difficulty taking long breaths for the last few minutes.

Realising that her chest had stopped clenching the nearer muscles, she breathed biting on the apple again.

" By the way... What was the upcoming ceremony in January? He didn't tell me anything, " she asked suddenly, not wanting to ignore the presence of the other Knight to which Aslan shrugged, simply.

" I lied. His Majesty wasn't getting ready for a discussion. "

Ava choked on the apple and coughed, staring at Aslan, her eyes wide. " You lied? What would he say then? "

Aslan, calmly, handed her another bottle of the drink, shrugging simply.

" He'll manage. He's a King, he should know what he must do in tight corners if he gets into one. "

Ava stared at him for a while and snickered slightly, feeling sorry for the King and how the Knight was barely bothered by the fact that he set Lucas, his King, in a trap which he had no idea about.

But all of a sudden, guilt surged through her veins and reached her heart when everything that had previously happened settled in.

" I should apologise to him... I acted too mean... "

Aslan subtly glanced at her side, seeing her staring at her shivering fingers, probably full of guilt and anxiety, he sighed.

" Don't worry, he'll understand. "

" I don't think he'll forgive me... I was acting like a witch," she mumbled grimly faking a low chuckle, Aslan's assurance hardly reached her mind.

It was when they heard Isaac approaching them from the second floor.

" Your Majesty! " Both Ava and Aslan's eyes flew up to meet the younger Knight hurrying toward them, almost running with long strides. " How are you? "

Ava smiled softly, watching Isaac's concerned face. She nodded showing a half-bitten apple to her Knight.

" I'm fine, Isaac. Thanks to the apples from General Dawson. "

Isaac, only now realising the presence of the older Knight, stared at the basket placed on the rock bench and glanced at Aslan for a second, who had his eyes already pacing over the younger, before they drifted their eyes away from each other almost immediately when their eyes met in one line.

After a few minutes, Aslan was left behind as the Queen was taken back to her chamber by the Queen's Knight. Watching them disappear from his eyes until the last bit of the raven-head faded into the palace, Aslan looked around, probably, something more interesting to take off his mind from the younger Knight's smoky brown eyes.

It was when he picked up the sight of the King walking towards the fountain and quickly jogged over to him.

" Your Majesty, "

Hearing Aslan's cry from the side, Lucas, who had been hurrying to the fountain often spitting small curses within him, dramatically whisked around to look at him.

" Hey, there, young man. Thank you for your kind deeds. I, for sure, had a great time."

" Let it be, Your Majesty. Where are you going right now? " Aslan shrugged his shoulders hearing the sarcasm.