CHAPTER 31: MAKE ME BELIEVE YOU

Make me believe you: 31

The golden rays of the sun bathed the Royal nursery where the King was currently walking into. He had his eyes slightly squinted trying to spot a cotton candy-like fluff ball around with Ava closely following him behind.

Others wouldn't know if the King wasn't ready to let the Queen spend her time alone with the guests as he had been dragging her alongside the entire day since their arrival. He never left her unattended as Lucas couldn't help but note some undeniable changes in Ava.

She seemed to zone out a lot more than she always does, though she was surrounded by her companions and Knight. Ava's hands often kept scratching the other hand whenever Lucas had his eyes trail off of her. She seemed quite stressed all of a sudden.

She was quietly following him without a remark, playing along like a toy that listens to whatever the other tells.

After a few minutes, Lucas stopped on his steps and glanced at the Queen, who had her eyes fixated on a greeny marble wall as always, unaware.

Once they were alone, Lucas cleared his throat, squeezing her fingers.

" Ava, is something wrong? "

He was pretty straightforward while Ava seemed to blink for the answers. It was when she noticed that they were in the nursery without the others and alone.

" Are we... Are we away from those people? "

Lucas hesitantly nodded. He wasn't sure if she really wanted to be in the scene as it felt unreal for her to stand there like a statue doing nothing but space out.

Ava being like Ava was absolutely fine with Lucas although he was slightly worried.

" Are you sure you're fine? Should I just send them away? "

For a second, Ava looked as if he could do that. But she quickly shook her head and heaved a long sigh before untangling their clasped hands to go sit on a wooden bench.

" Ava, what's wrong? Maybe I can help... " Lucas's desperation only seemed to increase the unease inside her heart.

She shook her head, burying them into her small hands.

" No, Lucas. I don't think you can, " she finally answered after a minute of tiredly leaning on the bench due to the growing pain in her body, especially her back was killing her.

" Aslan said you were strolling the corridor last night. "

" Y-yeah, " Fluttering her eyes open, Ava stared at the ground suddenly tensed at the mention of last night as the grieving memories of last night's event eventually skidded over her eyes like a film.

Recalling everything that happened, it sure made it hard for her to stop herself from giving in to her urge of rubbing her hand out of clear anxiousness.

Lucas gently trailed over her fingers when Ava started scratching a particular spot on the back of her elbow, roughly pulling the skin off while her eyes stayed somewhere else, completely oblivious to her reddening skin as if she didn't know what she was doing to herself.

Gulping slowly, Lucas looked at her to catch her eyes. " So...why didn't you come and see me? "

" Huh? " Ava crooked suddenly to a halt as she focused on Lucas, confusion swarming her eyes.

" I was awake, but why didn't you come to meet me? " he repeated, still, calm as ever.

" Ah... I— I thought you were occupied...and—and I just needed some fresh air. " she breathed when Lucas left the topic thereby, in relief, her hand slowly withdrawing the other while Lucas stayed put, silently watching all her actions.