CHAPTER 39: I'M COMING TO YOU

I'm coming to you: 39

The Head Knight was standing at the side of the King's table, drilling holes into his head. The silent atmosphere didn't help but boosted the flame of his thoughts.

" What's up with you? You've been disappearing often now. You look awfully different nowadays. What's wrong with you? What's up with your new attitude? What are you hiding from us? Why did you even go to Ukiyo without informing Madam Ferdoll? " The list never seemed to end since Aslan found the King slowly closing his eyes and leaning on the headrest. " Do you think she wouldn't have known that you went to Ukiyo? What are you going to do with Ms Wins—Her Majesty?" biting hard on his lips, Aslan paused but managed to correct himself. " Why are you even getting dreams— "

" They're not dreams, Aslan. They're nightmares. "

Aslan stopped surfing through his mind when he heard the King silently correcting his thoughts.

It wasn't Aslan speaking out loud but shrieking inside his head, staring at the King with fuming eyes.

It's been weeks since Ignatius told them that Lucas wanted him to take him to Ukiyo without his Mother's knowledge.

Since the night, Aslan had been witnessing the King jolting up out of nowhere in the middle of the night sweating as if he had just run a marathon while he had been sleeping like a log.

Lucas stopped sharing the bed with Ava at night as he found it hard seeing her getting startled every night he got nightmares and struggled to wake up out of it. The nightmares were nothing like the first one that almost had him dying in excruciating pain but still Lucas was scared.

Scared of getting exposed to the only person he wanted to be true to.

But since when he started sleeping in his study like always, his nights took a turn. They were always restless. He didn't get nightmares which he was thankful for but the cold night with nothing but freezing loneliness made the King's state go worse.

In the daylight, he was always the sunshine to others and a cheery and funny friend, brother and King to everyone around him.

But at night, he was completely different.

On those nights, the only soul that resided beside him was Aslan. Because whatever he did, Lucas could do nothing to send Aslan back to his quarters.

Today was also one of the nights where Lucas was slowly draining time that he should be using for sleep by pointlessly staring at the book.

Aslan was silent, waiting for the King to continue but he never did.

#

" Hello, Your Majesty, "

Ava was startled when she heard a voice from her back when she was trying to sneak into the fourth corridor, especially towards the island.

" La—lady Oh— My goodness, I was just inches away from having a cardiac arrest. "

" I apologise, My dear. What were you doing? " she chuckled apologetically before walking to the other side of the island, asking: " Do you perhaps want a drink? "

" Um... What would you say...if I said yes...? " Ava hesitantly asked while getting ready to immediately refuse saying that she was just kidding when the old lady grinned, taking some clean glasses from the cabinet.

" Then I would be very glad to serve you with your likings, Your Majesty. "

Ava blinked in surprise not really expecting the reaction. She stuttered with a weird smile and tried to refuse again while her eyes failed her reluctantly by drifting towards the glistening scotch bottle.