~18~ Quidditch Campsite

Being blessed with the ability of Apparating, Bill, Charlie, Percy and I were able to sleep in a bit longer since we didn't need to use the Portkey. We decided to Apparate around lunch, so while Percy was up working, Bill, Charlie and I played Chess. Soon, all packed and dressed, we apparated to the woods. It wasn't a far walk and we found our tent quickly. Mr. Weasley was already making lunch.

"Just Apparated, Dad," said Percy loudly. "Ah, excellent, lunch!"

We were halfway through their plates of eggs and sausages when Mr. Weasley jumped to his feet, waving and grinning at a man who was striding toward them. "Aha!" he said. "The man of the moment! Ludo!" 

"Ahoy there!" Bagman called happily. "Arthur, old man," he puffed as he reached the campfire, "what a day, eh? What a day! Could we have asked for more perfect weather? A cloudless night coming . . . and hardly a hiccough in the arrangements. . . . Not much for me to do!"

Percy hurried forward with his hand outstretched. Apparently his disapproval of the way Ludo Bagman ran his department did not prevent him from wanting to make a good impression.

"Ah — yes," said Mr. Weasley, grinning, "this is my son Percy. He's just started at the Ministry — and this is Fred — no, George, sorry — that's Fred — Bill, Charlie, Ron — my daughter, Ginny —and Ron's friends, Hermione Granger and Harry Potter. And That's Percy's friend Sara Finnigan, she's starting her Auror training tomorrow!"  

But Bagman was not interested that Percy was working at the Ministry and I was going to become and Auror. His eyes automatically jumped to Harry, who awkwardly tilted his head away.

"Everyone," Mr. Weasley continued, "this is Ludo Bagman, you know who he is, it's thanks to him we've got such good tickets —"

Bagman beamed and waved his hand as if to say it had been nothing. "Fancy a flutter on the match, Arthur?" he said eagerly, jingling what seemed to be a large amount of gold in the pockets of his  yellow-and-black robes. "I've already got Roddy Pontner betting me Bulgaria will score first — I offered him nice odds, considering Ireland's front three are the strongest I've seen in years — and little Agatha Timms has put up half shares in her eel farm on a weeklong match."

"Oh . . . go on then," said Mr. Weasley. "Let's see . . . a Galleon on Ireland to win?"

"A Galleon?" Ludo Bagman looked slightly disappointed, but recovered himself. "Very well, very well . . . any other takers?" he looked at me. 

"I'm alright, I don't really like to gamble thank you." I said politely. 

"They're a bit young to be gambling anyway," said Mr. Weasley. "Molly wouldn't like —"  

"We'll bet thirty-seven Galleons, fifteen Sickles, three Knuts,"said Fred as he and George quickly pooled all their money, "that Ireland wins — but Viktor Krum gets the Snitch. Oh and we'll throw in a fake wand."

"You don't want to go showing Mr. Bagman rubbish like that —"Percy hissed, but Bagman didn't seem to think the wand was rubbish at all; on the contrary, his boyish face shone with excitement as he took it from Fred, and when the wand gave a loud squawk and turned into a rubber chicken, Bagman roared with laughter. "Excellent! I haven't seen one that convincing in years! I'd pay five Galleons for that!"

Percy's face twisted into disapproval. 

"Boys," said Mr. Weasley under his breath, "I don't want you betting. . . . That's all your savings. . . . Your mother —"

"Don't be a spoilsport, Arthur!" boomed Ludo Bagman, rattling his pockets excitedly. "They're old enough to know what they want! You reckon Ireland will win but Krum'll get the Snitch? Nota chance, boys, not a chance. . . . I'll give you excellent odds on that one. . . . We'll add five Galleons for the funny wand, then, shall we. . . ."