~28~ Aftermath

Dumbledore had asked me to stay at Hogwarts, and help with Mad-Eye, since he was now discharged from the Hospital Wing, just until the school year officially finished. Mad-Eye had already knew of me since he was one for the people to read my application and accepted me, almost right before he got taken.

"Got some fire in you I hear." he said, as I had tea in his office. 

I didn't really take him as a tea person, and was surprised when he offered me a cup.

"I guess you could say that." I shrugged.

"Dumbledore says you've always been fiery, even when you were a student here."

"Yeah, I was. Er, got into a lot of fights with um, Slytherins." I replied sheepishly.

"Don't be shy about it girl! Wear like like a badge!" he grinned.

He was still very jumpy though, which made sense. He was worried about getting attacked, and would even jump when I would talk to him sometimes. We were both sitting at the year end feast now, at the staff table together. He was still very twitchy. 

Soon, Dumbledore stood up. "The end, of another year. There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight, but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

We all did it, all of us; the benches scraped as everyone in the Hall stood, and raised their goblets, and echoed, in one loud, low, rumbling voice, "Cedric Diggory."

My voice cracked when I said his name. I had never known him too well, but we've had our fair share of conversations. It was the Hufflepuffness in him, the kindness he shared. 

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continued. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."

There was a pause. "Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

Everyone gasped and looked around. I spotted Shay at the Gryffindor table, and he was looking at Dumbledore like he was mad.

"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continued, "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so — either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory. There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," Dumbledore went on. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter."

Everyone turned to look at Harry at that. He was trying to avoid any eye contact.

"Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," said Dumbledore. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor him. Every guest in this Hall, will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again — in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. It is my belief — and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken — that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder. A week ago, a student was taken from our midst. Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

Everyone left the hall after Dumbledore's speech with heavy hearts. 

The next morning, it was time for everyone to head home. I went to the front yard, as the Dumstrung and Beuxbaostons headed off to their carriages.

"SARA!"

I turned around to see Fleur running towards me at full speed, before throwing her arms around me. "Oh Sara."

I hugged her back tightly. "Fleur."

"Make sure you write to me." she said.

"Of course!"

"I am 'oping to get a job 'ere." she said.

"Wait, really?" I was delighted.

"Yes. To eemprove my Eenglish. And I have been talking to Bill...."

I smiled. "I'm really happy to hear that Fleur. I do hope we can see each other often now."

"Yes, but I first must go back to France." she kissed me cheek, and headed off to say goodbye to Harry and his friends. 

~~~
I ended up taking the train back home, curled up in a compartment with Shay and Dean. The two were chatting quietly while I had my eyes closed. After all that training, and work, I was absolutely gutted and tired. 

"Sara." I heard Shay's voice whisper.

"What do you want." I didn't open my eyes.

"Are you okay? You're awfully quiet."

"I'm just tired Shay." I sighed, cracking my eyes open and turning to my side. "I've had a long year."

Dean handed me a chocolate frog, which I popped in my mouth gratefully. 

We spent the rest of the ride in silence, them doing their own thing, and me trying to sleep. Once we arrived, Mum greeted us with tight hugs. 

"Oh children, you've both had just a tough couple of years at school. How are you holding up about that poor boy who died?" she asked,

Shay shrugged. "I didn't really know him."

"Sara?" she asked.

I blanched. "I was on duty. I feel like I should have-"

"No." she said firmly. "You wouldn't have known he'd die. It's not your fault. Don't let guilt eat you up."

I said nothing in return. Both Tonks and I had expressed how guilty we felt to Kingsley, and he said the exact same thing. We both still feel like if we had known while setting up the maze, we could've prevented Cedric's death.

"Come, let's get home." she said.

"Wait, give me a second please." I quickly rushed over to Harry, just as he was about to go through the Barrier. 

"Harry!" I called out.

He turned around. He was still looking exhausted. "Hey Sara."

"Harry." I took a deep breath. "How are you feeling?"

"Take a  guess." he mumbled.

I looked at with sympathetically and pulled him into a hug. "I know Harry. Well, no. I don't. You've been through so much Harry. Look, don't hesitate to write to me okay? If you ever need a chat, I can, I don't know, Apparate to you and we can go on a little stroll or something, alright?"

He smiled. "Thanks Sara. I apricate it. You know, you're like, a big sister that I look up to."

I smiled at him. "I'm always here for you Harry."

I gave him a shoulder squeeze and ran back to my Mum and Shay. I couldn't help but notice that Mum was looking at Harry with narrowed eyes.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing. Come along now."

I couldn't shake off the feeling that Mum and Shay were not happy with my friendship with Harry, and I had no clue why.