~37~ The Hearing

Almost too soon, it was Harry's Hearing day. It was now nearly six in the morning, and I was sitting in the kitchen with Tonks, Bill, Sirius, Remus, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. We were drinking tea, chatting quietly. I sat there, my eyes drooping slightly. Tonks and I had stayed up all night standing guard over the Department of Mysteries. We were so tired, Mad-Eye gave us the day off. 

"What do you think will happen?" asked Tonks worriedly. 

"I think it should be alright." I said, stirring my tea moodily. "Dumbledore will be there. He'll manage to talk some sense to the committee.....I hope."

Sirius rubbed his face tiredly. "He better."

We stayed quiet for a few moments. 

"I like your hair today." I said to Tonks, who had her hair blond and curly.

"Eh, I was trying something new but I don't really think it's my thing." she replied.

"Oh!"  I remembered. "By the way, Scrimgeour has been-"

But before I could continue, the door then opened, and Harry stepped through. 

Mrs. Weasley jumped to her feet. "Breakfast." she hurried over to the stove.

"M-m-morning, Harry," yawned Tonks. "Sleep all right?" 

"Yeah." he replied.

"Sara and I have b-b-been up all night," she said, with another shuddering yawn. "Come and sit down. . . ." 

Harry sat down in a chair beside me. 

"What do you want, Harry?" Mrs. Weasley called. "Porridge? Muffins? Kippers? Bacon and eggs? Toast?"

"Just toast I guess." Harry replied.

Remus glanced at Harry, then said to me, "What were you saying about Scrimgeour?"  

I looked away from Remus and spoke to Mr. Weasley instead. "We need to be a bit more careful, he's been asking Tonks, Kingsley and I some funny questions. . . ."

"I'll have to tell Dumbledore I can't do night duty tomorrow, I'm just t-t-too tired," Tonks finished, yawning hugely again.

"I can cover for you-" but I broke my sentence off with a yawn too. Damn it.

"No, you two rest. I'll cover for Tonks." Mr. Weasley said. "I have a report to finish anyway." he then turned to Harry. "How are you feeling?"

Harry shrugged, and I pressed my lips in a thin line. I pitied the boy. I placed my hand on top of his. "You're going to do great Harry. Don't worry."

He smiled feebly at my attempt to make him feel better.

"It'll all be over soon," Mr. Weasley said bracingly. "In a few hours time you'll be cleared."

Harry didn't reply.

"The hearing's on my floor, in Amelia Bones's office. She's Head of the Department of Mag

"Amelia Bones is okay, Harry," said Tonks earnestly. "She's fair, she'll hear you out."

I nodded. "Oh yes, she's great. I've always liked her."

Harry just nodded. 

"Don't lose your temper," said Sirius abruptly. "Be polite and stick to the facts."

Harry nodded again. 

"The law's on your side," said Remus quietly. "Even underage wizards are allowed to use magic in life-threatening situations."

Harry nodded. 

"Are you just going to keep nodding your head Harry?" I joked softly. 

His lips twitched.