~70~ Shouting Match In The Hall

The doors of the hospital wing burst open, making us all jump: Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were striding up the ward, Fleur just behind them, her beautiful face terrified.

"Molly – Arthur –" said McGonagall, jumping up and hurrying to greet them. "I am so sorry–"

"Bill," whispered Mrs. Weasley, darting past Professor McGonagall as she caught sight of Bill's mangled face. "Oh, Bill!"

Remus and I moved closer to Tonks and Ollie to make space for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley to crowd around Bill's bed. Fleur came to me and I hugged her tightly. 

"You said Greyback attacked him?" Mr. Weasley asked Professor McGonagall distractedly. "But he hadn't transformed? So what does that mean? What will happen to Bill?"

"We don't yet know," said Professor McGonagall, looking helplessly at Remus. 

"There will probably be some contamination, Arthur," said Remus. "It is an odd case, possibly unique... we don't know what his behavior might be like when he wakes up ..."

Mrs. Weasley took the nasty-smelling ointment from Madam Pomfrey and began dabbing at Bill's wounds

"And Dumbledore ..." said Mr Weasley. "Minerva, is it true ... is he really ...?"

McGonagall nodded, and Fleur moved away from me, closer to the bed, and gazed down at bill. 

"Dumbledore gone," whispered Mr. Weasley, but Mrs. Weasley had eyes only for her eldest son; she began to sob, tears falling on to Bill's mutilated face. "Of course, it doesn't matter how he looks ... it's not r – really important ... but he was a very handsome little b – boy ... always very handsome ... and he was g – going to be married!"

"And what do you mean by zat?" said Fleur suddenly and loudly. "What do you mean, 'e was going to be married?"

I looked between the two women with wide eyes. 

Mrs. Weasley raised her tear-stained face, looking startled. "Well – only that –"

"You theenk Bill will not wish to marry me any more?" demanded Fleur. "You theenk, because of these bites, he will not love me?"

"No, that's not what I –"

"Because 'e will!" said Fleur, drawing herself up to her full height and throwing back her long maneof silver hair. "It would take more zan a werewolf to stop Bill loving me!"

"Well, yes, I'm sure," said Mrs. Weasley, "but I thought perhaps – given how – how he –"

"You thought I would not weesh to marry him? Or per'aps, you 'oped?" said Fleur, her nostrils flaring. "What do I care how 'e looks? I am good-looking enough for both of us, I theenk! All these scars show is zat my husband is brave! Just like how Sara's face shows 'ow she  is brave! And I shall do zat!" she added fiercely, pushing Mrs. Weasley aside and snatching the ointment from her.

Mrs. Weasley fell back against her husband and watched Fleur mopping up Bill's wounds with a most curious expression upon her face. Nobody said anything. I wrung my hands nervously, waiting for Mrs. Weasley to explode, as Remus took my hand in his.

"Our Great Auntie Muriel," said Mrs. Weasley after a long pause, "has a very beautiful tiara – goblin made – which I am sure I could persuade her to lend you for the wedding. She is very fond of Bill, you know, and it would look lovely with your hair."

"Thank you," said Fleur stiffly. "I am sure zat will be lovely."

And then both women were crying and hugging each other. Everyone stared at them with startled expressions.