Ch.23 - Kaizen Redemption (Arc 1 finale)

The sun was still rising in the distance. Businesses were still starting up, and the streets were mostly empty. Despite the early morning and absence of people, the trains still moved according to their schedules.

Almost as if to say that life moves on no matter what.

Izuku was sitting in one of these largely empty trains, unable to tell if the subtle rumbles he felt were from the moving carriage or himself.

The boy had gotten up early today. It was the day after the interview, and Izuku was intent on getting to Ryukyu's.

He couldn't wait any longer.

Making use of what Aizawa had told them about how work-studies actually worked. The boy had discovered that he could change his schedule to attend his study whenever necessary. Then make up for the missed lessons later.

The necessity might be questionable in the eyes of others, but he couldn't sleep, and there was no way his classes would make sense to him, not while this whole issue with Ryukyu was hanging over his head.

Especially not when All-Might had given him something to work with...

--

Toshi nodded, sitting with Izuku in yet another private talking room.

"I see... So you want something to help Ryukyu?"

"Is there anything that can be done? Maybe we can help her cover the costs or something?" The boy asked tentatively.

The retired hero shook his head. "I don't think that would be a good idea. From what I've heard about Ryukyu, she would never agree to aid like that, being one of the more independent types. And even if she did agree, it would undermine what she is trying to do to win back public trust."

"Yeah... part of me figured that. Then maybe you have another way. You've never been hit with a lawsuit or public backlash for the destruction of property?"

All-Might winced at that. "That is true. I haven't..."

"There's a but, isn't there...?"

He nodded.

"There are a couple of reasons. Firstly, because I was the number one hero, the government and the Hero Commission always gave me special treatment, even when I didn't want it. Treating my success as the country's success... They never pressed charges against me, even when they absolutely would have against another hero. It's one of the more corrupt aspects of hero society that I forced myself to ignore."

Izuku gawked. "So they bailed you out every time?"

The man tilted his head to one side. "Not every time; usually, if there was no way to avoid collateral damage, I made it clear to the public that it was necessary against the opponent I was fighting. I would often do things in a fight that I knew wouldn't work to prove a point to onlookers...-"