Ch.52 - Overbearing Pitches

The support studio was a tidy space, aside from the fresh, damp scorch marks, with all sorts of gear and equipment hanging or standing from the walls to the ceiling.

Most of this gear was clearly still in the midst of development, but that certainly didn't stop Eri from running up to them and gawking at whatever her shining red eyes could see.

Ryuko and Izuku were close behind the child as she stared up and down what appeared to be some human-sized mech suit. The girl went to touch the construct, but her draconic mother reacted quickly.

"Eri, you weren't given permission to touch anything."

She pulled back her hand with a sad whine. "Ok..."

Power-Loader waved his hand. "Nah, it's fine. So long as she doesn't start disassembling things, I have no complaints, and I don't think the students who made these will either."

Ryuko nodded. "Well, I suppose you have permission, Eri."

The child smiled, resuming her mission to invade the contraption's personal space, while Hatsume squatted beside her, grinning inquisitively. "Do you like machines, Eri?"

"Yeah! How does this one work? Is there a big battery in the chest or something? Mama's robots always had their power source in there."

The pinkette's grin grew at finding a kindred soul. "I see you know your stuff! Actually, there's this little power core in the back. Think of it like a super battery that's way stronger than a regular battery. This baby o'mine needs a lot of power, so it doesn't stop working in the middle of a fight."

"Wait, you made this? And it's for fighting?"

"Yuppers! It's designed to make whoever wears it stronger and tougher... Kinda restricts movement, though; I need to make it more mobile."

The horned girl seemed to think for a moment. "Have you thought of like a really big jetpack or something? Maybe thrusters in the feet?"

The guardians gawked a bit and whispered to each other.

"How much has she been googling in her spare time, Ryuko?"

"A lot more than I realised, apparently..."

Hatsume smirked. "I have, actually! I see great minds think alike!-"

She stopped, thinking briefly, and Izuku could see the wild gears turning in the engineer's head.

"-You know what!? Why don't I show you more of my stuff, and your mum can see'em too? Two birds, one stone!"

Eri cheered while Ryuko could see the glint she was getting from the designer and smiled back awkwardly. "Sure~..."

Izuku watched the exchange between Eri and Hatsume curiously as he recalled the disassembled gadgets in the girl's room. 'This could be really good for Eri, actually...'