48. End

NIGHT

BLACK DOW FOREST

David eyes tightly furrowed as he tossed and turned in the midst of a fever dream. Sweat drops linger on his forehead before slowly trickling down his neck and chest. The heat radiation off his body was almost suffocating, and he was wracked with discomfort.

Suddenly, he jolted awake, his body lurching upwards as he gasped for air. His hand instinctively reached up to pat his damp forehead in a fruitless effort to soothe himself. He sat there for a moment, taking deep, mindful breaths as he tried to calm his body. He let out a deep sigh and leaned back against the seat, his eyes glancing out of the window and onto the surrounding jungle.

As David sat there, the memory of his fever dream flooded back to him, causing his heart to twist in his chest. It had been about Amelia - his love - the girl he cherished more than anything else in the world.

David took a deep breath before pulling out his phone from his pocket revealing Amelia's smiling face on the lockscreen. She's beautiful -His heart swelled with love and happiness as he gazed upon her picture with a sense of fondness and familiarity. It had been so long since he'd last seen her, and he missed her dearly.

She looked so adorable in the photograph, her eyes bright and joyous as she flashed her gorgeous smile. He longed to hear her call him "Daddy," to feel her warm embrace, and to express to her just how much he loved her.

As he gazed at her picture, he felt a sense of hope that they would soon be reunited, and he whispered a silent prayer of protection for her, hoping that the gods would watch over her every step of the way.

David was lost in thought as he stared at Amelia's picture on his phone, Suddenly, the sound of a door clicking brought him back to reality as Aidel stepped into the car and spotted David holding his phone and the photo of Amelia that was on the lock screen.

For a moment, David couldn't help but notice a passing expression of pain that flickered across Aidel's eyes, His gaze was blank but the emotions were desperately running right there in his eyes. He could see it. Aidel felt David's eyes on him and he quickly averted his gaze and uttered a few words, "I am roasting marshmallows, come and have some,"

David observed him without any response. It appeared Aidel was hesitant to make any eye contact with David. As soon as he issued the invitation he left promptly.

David's attention reached for her picture once more, he kissed it tenderly before slipping it back into his pocket.

David stepped out of the car and approached the spot where Aidel was seated next to the blazing fire. The marshmallows being slowly toasted over the crackling flames had a sweet, sugary scent mixed with the smell of wood smoke permeating the air around them, creating an alluring atmosphere that was hard to resist.