55. She knows

FUNERAL

Amelia sat among a group of people in chairs, listening as each person took turns delivering speeches in remembrance of Aidel's late mother. Aidel himself tearfully spoke about his mother, his voice filled with emotion. Eventually, David also stepped forward to share his memories. The mourning process continued until they reached the cemetery, where Aidel's mother was laid to rest.

Aidel's jaw muscles tensed as his mother was laid to rest at the centenary. He fought back tears, the emotions swirling within him. Amelia stood silently, experiencing the unfamiliar, solemnity of a burial procedure. Seeing Aidel so bereaved, her own heart grew heavy with sadness. David, who was standing nearby sensed his distress, he approached him and gently placed his hand on Aidel's shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Aidel, overwhelmed with emotions, closed his eyes tightly and rested his head slowly against David's shoulder, attempting to suppress the tears threatening to overwhelm him.

LEO HAYDESON HOUSE

Amelia, David, and Aidel stepped inside the house. Amelia scanned her surroundings, immediately taken by the beauty of the place. The house exuded a warm, cozy ambience, reminiscent of Christmas. On the other hand, David remained unfazed, having been here before. He was familiar with every room, every door, and the layout of the corridors. His memory served him well.

Aidel, however, remained silent since their arrival. He hadn't spoken to them, he hadn't spoken to anyone.
This deeply troubled Amelia, as she watched his pain consume him. Her heart ached, witnessing him in such distress.

She approached Aidel, recognizing his despondent state, with a glass of water in hand. She extended it towards him, her intent to offer comfort evident in her gesture. "Dada..have some water"

Aidel's tired and lost expression apparent, met her gaze briefly before shutting his eyes and rising from the sofa. Witnessing this, she anxiously bit her lip, feeling helpless. David, who had been observing the scene unfold, walked over and gently tapped Amelia on the back. His voice carried a compassionate tone as he advised, "Give him some space for now."

Understanding his words, Amelia nodded. In an attempt to console her, David drew her into a tender embrace, his hand gently caressing her back, offering her a sense of comfort. "Don't worry, princess.. he will be alright, hm?"

Amelia tightened the hug and nodded against his skin. David tenderly cupped Amelia's face, his gaze filled with concern. "Are you tired? Would you like to rest?" he inquired, studying her face intently.

Amelia shook her head softly, "No, Daddy, I am not tired" her exhaustion apparent, and leaned her head back against David's chest, His gentle caress reassured her in that moment.

Amelia's gaze was directed towards a nearby bookshelf, she pointed out the countless books that adorned its shelves. "That's a lot of books," she remarked, her voice soft with curiosity.

David nodded, his eyes fixed on the bookshelf. "Yes, Miss Dalene had a deep love for reading English literature," he replied wistfully. Memories of visits to Aidel's mother's home flooded his mind. He recalled how she always held a book in her hands, engrossed in its pages.

Amelia raised her gaze to meet his and then shifted her attention towards the bookshelves. In unison, they walked towards the shelves, standing side by side as they observed the numerous books on display. Curiosity sparked within Amelia, prompting her to inquire, "You knew Miss Dalene quite well?"

David tilted his head slightly, meeting her gaze before responding, "I only know what Aidel has shared with me and what I've personally witnessed," he replied thoughtfully. He paused briefly, lost in deep contemplation. "I believe R would have a better understanding of his family since they were close."