Chapter 2 ~ I Knew You Were Trouble

Chapter 2

I Knew You Were Trouble

He pulled back from the hug; “Was there anything I missed when I was gone?” he asked pretending to be innocent with his subtle question. When I knew full well what he was trying to get at. I raised an eyebrow.  

“Everything here was perfectly boring and normal.” I said. It was his turn to raise an eyebrow, knowing a dodged his question.

“Did you meet anyone?” he asked wiggling his eyebrows. I pouted at his question not expecting to really ask it; he was always nagging me to meet someone. I sighed and looked out of the window, thinking of a way to not answer his question.

“No, I didn’t there’s no one out there for me yet.” I said. Aragorn looked at me questioningly.

“There will be someone don’t you worry.” He said and then he added, “You’re a beautiful, young, intelligent, firecracker of a girl. You will find someone.”

“Phft.” I snorted ungracefully. “Young? I’m eighty-one. Firecracker? That’s being nice, most people call me a troublemaker when they’re being nice. Beautiful? I think not, I spend my time preparing for war and wearing male clothes.” I said doubting myself. He frowned. 

“You are young. Look at Elrond, he found his love and eight hundred sixty-five and he’s perfectly happy. Just because you wear male clothing all the time doesn’t mean you’re not gorgeous. And people will call you a troublemaker for so many reasons, I’m not even going to argue with that.” He said cockily. 

“Name one.” I said challenging him.

“Well there was that time we were sorting out laws of Rivendell…”

~ Flashback ~

Aragorn, Elrond and I sat at a large table in the Library sorting out ancient laws. These laws were so old, hardly anyone paid attention to them. I was eight and had learned to read, write and speak the four Elfish languages (Quenya, Telerin, Sindarin, Nandorin) and the common tongue, of course. I had learnt to speak a bit of some other languages, native to the other races of the council, that I couldn’t remember the names of.

“Ah ha! I have found yet another ridiculous one!” I cried. Aragorn shook his head knowing what I was about to do, for I had already done it seven times. He looked up at me and flashed me a smile, I grinned back. It read:

Anyone to put his or her head above the Lord’s before midday shall be subjected to torture, the form of torture chosen by the Lord.

“It reads ‘Anyone to put his or her head above the Lord’s shall be subjected to torture, the from of torture chosen by the Lord.’ That’s simply ridiculous as we have elves that are way taller than you Elrond.” I said. He nodded in agreement, not looking up from his section of the laws. He had of course paid attention, he was just busy reading. I stood up one the chair on my tippy toes so that my head was above Elrond’s. I jumped up and down a few times while doing a little dance. Aragorn laughed at me and I grinned hopping on one foot. Elrond looked up at me wearily.

“Alana, get down from there, you could slip and fall. I don’t want you getting hurt.” He said exasperated. It was of course the eighth law I had broken that day. 

~ End of Flashback ~

I nodded as I remembered that day long ago, smiled and said, “I remember that day… I wasn’t allowed dessert after supper as my punishment for breaking so many laws.” I laughed remembering that day.

“See?” he said laughing with me. “You managed to break nine ancient laws in one day, at eight years old. How is that not being a troublemaker?” He asked, and we laughed again. 

~ ~ ~ Hello!!! I'm already on chapter two how exiting is that. Don't know when the nest update will be... Mostly because I need to update the other book. Shame. 

On that happy note, thank you for reading my book so far! I hope you like it!!! ~ ~ ~