Chapter 44 ~ Lady of Light

Chapter 44

Lady of Light

We walked with him until it grew light and dark again. We were walking up a spiral staircase that was wound around a tree. Everything about it seemed to shimmer blue. We were very high up. I was as close to the tree as possible and still felt nervous. That’s the problem with elves, I thought, they like to be so high and mighty. 

Finally we stepped off the narrow staircase and onto a clearing. Apart from having a great hole in the middle I felt more secure. We walked around the edge until we were standing before an elevated platform. We lined up, although not very well.

I looked up the two people standing on the platform. Light seemed to radiate off them. They walked down the steps slowly. The lady looked at me

“The enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine that are here yet, ten there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him. I can no longer see him from afar.” The man said. 

“Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land. He had fallen into shadow.” 

“He was taken by both shadow and flame. A Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the net of Moria.” Legolas said.

“Needless were none of the deeds done by Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his full purpose. Do not the great emptiness of Kazak Doom fill you up Gimli son of Gloin for the world had grown full of peril. And in all lands love is mingled with grief.” The lady said. 

She looked at me and suddenly I could here her voice inside my head. ‘There is one who will heal your broken heart, and he is not far. Even with those losses, you will become more whole than ever. Soon your broken heart will beat whole again. Surround yourself with those who make you stronger and nothing can touch you.’

“What now becomes of this fellowship? Without Gandalf hope is lost.” The man said. I frowned. That wasn’t exactly comforting.

“The quest stands upon the edge of a knife, stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled, go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep well.” She said gently. 

~ ~ ~

 After receiving new and clean clothes they lead us to where we would be spending the night. We were going to be staying by the roots of a tree, under a canopy. I was lying on the clean sheet they had given me in the corner furthest away from the entrance. 

I pulled the second blanket over me trying to get warm. For some reason I was very cold. The silky clothes they had given me felt cool to the touch and I shivered. I curled up more trying to get warm.

The others were talking but I couldn’t here them. I only heard Sam.

“Bet they don’t mention his fireworks. Should here first about them.” He said, he stood up and continued, “The finest rockets ever seen, they burst in stars of blue and green. Where after thunder, silver showers, they came raining like a rain of flowers. Oh that doesn’t do them justice.” He said and sat down. Aragorn stood up and walked outside. I heard Legolas enter and sit down beside me. I moved closer so that I got some warmth. I shivered again, the spot I had laid on was cold. 

“Are you cold?” He asked looking down at me.

“No.” I lied.

“Yes, you are.” He said. 

“I know.” I said. I shivered again. He started to move and suddenly he was lying right next to me. He wrapped his arms around me and I was instantly warmer. I closed my eyes.

“Comfortable?” He asked. 

“Very.” I mumbled sleepily. I yawned and fell asleep almost immediately with Legolas’s arms keeping me warm and safe. 

~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ AWW!! Isn't that adorable. I am an evil person. Two more chapters before the epilogue!!!!!! ~ ~ ~