Chapter 32 ~ Banana

Chapter 32

Banana

He stood up, and I leaned on him a lot. I hobbled over to behind the group. I sat down on a rock feeling light headed and dizzy.

“Are you alright?” He asked. I nodded. He continued talking, “I’m going to get you something to eat.” He walked away towards Bill. He slung my backpack over his shoulders, and grabbed the food bag and his bag in both hands. I wanted to get up and help him but I was unable to stand. 

He dumped the bags beside the rock and sat down next to me. He took out some dried fruit and Quembé bread from the food bag. Quembé Bread was bread that had a lot of nutrients your body to survive and it had a little bit of Lembas bread mixed in so that it filled you up quickly.

I took a handful of the dried fruits and a slice of bread. I started to sort out the dried fruit into little sections on my lap. There was a pile of blueberries, cranberries, apple slices, raisins and banana slices. 

“What are you doing?” Legolas asked while putting the rest of the food back. 

“I’m sorting the fruit into groups.” I said. I ripped a piece of Quembé bread and stuffed it into my mouth.

“Why?” He asked. 

“Because I don’t eat bananas, ever.” I said, handing him the tiny pile of banana slices. He took them looking confusedly.

“What’s wrong with bananas?” He asked. 

“They were my brother’s favourite food and it was the last thing he ate before he died.” I said, neutrally. 

“Oh, okay… You won’t mind then- I mean- Is it alright if I eat them?” He asked unsure. I laughed.

“Of course you can, I don’t mind other people eating it. I guess it’s a habit really. Even when my brother was alive I would always not eat bananas and save them in my pockets for him.” I said.

“Oh okay.” He said. He put the bananas in his pocket. I ate the blueberries first because I didn’t particularly like them. I ate the raisins and then the apple slices and the cranberries because I liked them the best. I finished off the bread and felt a lot better.

I watched as the others had started talking about how to get into the mines.

I watched as Gandalf mumbled something and looked at the clouds. I watched as the door lit up and glowed a bright light colour.

“It reads: The doors of Durin Lord of Moria, speak friend and enter.” Gandalf read.

“What d’ you suppose that means?” Merry asked.

“Oh, it’s quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak a password and the doors will open.” Gandalf replied. Gandalf spoke in Elfish and I waited for the doors to open. Nothing happened. He tried again, but nothing happened. I suppressed a chuckle. 

“Nothing’s happened.” Pippin said. Gandalf pushed against the doors.

“I once knew every spell in all the tongues of elves, men and Orcs.” Gandalf muttered.

“What are you going to do then?” Pippin asked.

“Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! If that does not shatter them, then I am aloud a little peace from foolish questions. I am trying to find the opening words.” He said. He started muttering in Elfish again. 

I watched as Merry and Pippin throw rocks into the water. I was about to tell them not to do that but Aragorn beat me to it. I turned hastily away from Aragorn.

“Oh, it’s useless.” Gandalf said throwing down his staff. He sat down and took his hat off. I looked at the lake, which oddly enough seemed disturbed.

~ ~ ~ OH MAH GAWD. We are so close to the end of the story!!!! I think I am going to cry. Just kidding. I'm not going to cry. 

Well, we're not that close. We still have about ten more chapters to go. 

Thanks anyways for reading!!! ~ ~ ~