Chapter 14 ~ Fighting Gets Us No Where

Chapter 14

Fighting Gets Us No Where

“Aragorn is right. We cannot use it.” Gandalf said adamantly. 

“You have only one choice. The ring must be destroyed.” Elrond said. Everyone looked at it.

“What are we waiting for?” Gimli said roughly. He stood up and charged toward the table with his axe held over his head. He brought the axe down on top of the ring, I foolishly hoped it would destroy the ring. 

He was thrown back and his axe shattered all around him. Our of the corner of my eye I saw Frodo wince.

“The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Glóin by any craft we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this.” He said.

“One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with fire, and ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand me could you do this. It is folly.” Downer. Guess who said the depressing comments. Boromir did.

“Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The Ring must be destroyed.” Legolas said standing up.

“And I suppose you think you are the one to do it!” Gimli shouted and he stood up.

“And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?” Boromir shouted, standing as well. 

“I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!” Gimli shouted at Legolas. Everyone stood up and started to shout at each other. 

“Never trust an elf!” Gimli shouted.

What caught my eye was Frodo though. He was still sitting. He stood up.

“I will take it.” Frodo said. Nobody heard him. He repeated himself a little louder. Everyone stopped shouting.

“I will take the Ring to Mordor.” Everyone turned and stared at him. “Though, I do not know the way.”

“I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear.” Gandalf said. He walked towards Frodo and stood behind him.

“If by my life or death I can protect you, I will.” Aragorn said. NOOOOOO! Was all that went through my head. Before I thought about what I was doing I jumped out from the pillar. I heard Merry and Pippin whisper frantically to me.

“You are not going anywhere without me.” I said. Aragorn’s head whipped around. 

~ ~ ~ Cliff hanger!!! Dun-dun-dun!!!! I'm sorry it's short exams!! In fact I'm supposed to be studying. BYE ~ ~ ~