Chapter 3 ~ Why Not?

Chapter 3

Why Not?

There was a sharp but quiet knock on the door suddenly, making me jump. I stood up and walked over to open the door. I didn’t have to open it though because Elrond walked in looking weary. 

“Ah Aragorn you are awake, that’s excellent. Have I informed you about the council meeting?” he asked. We shook our heads and he continued, “The one ring has been brought into our possession by four hobbits, that much you both know. We have called a secret council meeting and the heads of all races will be there. It shall be tomorrow at noon. Aragorn you will be expected there and Alana, you shall be in the library for your history lesson with Arwen and Mirima.” Aragorn nodded calmly. I was outraged.

“Why can’t I come to the meeting?” I cried absolutely furious. 

“You are not a head of a race or the ring-bearer or the wizard and therefore are not invited.” He said calmly and probably expecting my outburst. 

“That’s not fair.” I said sounding like a little child. If Mirima were here she would have laughed at me for sounding like such a little child.

“It does not matter. You shall not be there.” He said. He continued, “We shall be having the Men, Dwarves and Elves arriving. Aragorn would you be so kind as to, show them to there room. They don’t particularly like us elves so you shall escort them. Alana you could show around the elves or the men, if you would like to do something, to contribute. Mirima shall be showing around the race you do not choose.” He said. I pondered for a moment which race I should choose.

“I’ll be in charge of the elves. The men can be so high maintenance.” I teased Aragorn. I stuck out my tongue and he shook his head. Elrond tried not to smile at my immaturity. I nodded his head then. 

“Very well, I shall await you in the courtyard at noon. Don’t be late. I will see you at supper in the Grand Hall tonight. And put on a dress.” He said. He exited the room at closed the door behind him. I frowned, he knew I hated wearing dresses. It was probably a punishment for disrespecting him. 

“Well, I guess I better change.” I said. “I’ll see you around Aragorn.” I said hugging him. On our way to the door he asked, “Tomorrow would you like to continue our combat routine?” I grinned.

“I would love to. You know me so well. Although Mirima and I haven’t missed a day.” He nodded and walked back to his room. He turned around to wave and I waved back. I closed the door and walked over to my closet. I stored most of my day-to-day clothing in my chest. I kept all of my fancy clothing and dresses in my closet. I opened my closet and ruffled through the horribly fancy looking dresses. I thin lair of dust rolled out of the closet making me cough. I picked out a light blue dress with white trimmings. 

I unbuckled my weapon belt and my bow and arrows. I pulled off my pants and my tunic. I reluctantly pulled the dress over my head and pulled the ribbons at the back to make it tight enough, so as to ensure it wouldn’t fall off me. 

I looked at myself in the mirror. My blonde hair was tied up in a carelessly messy bun with bits of hair sticking out here and there. My darker eyelashes framed my blue eyes nicely, making them look like a crystal blue lake in the night. The dress was low cut with a wide neckline. It went from one shoulder and dipped to the other. The dress tied at the back, like a corset, and flowed down to the ground pooling a little on the floor.

I liked this dress the best of all the horrible dresses because it was loose enough didn’t make me feel that uncomfortable. I took off my combat boots that I had forgotten to take off and put on some white slippers. I stepped on the hem of the dress and grabbed the closet door to regain my balance. This dress was an accident waiting to happen, I was bound to trip. 

Elves don’t trip; I trip because I’m not completely an elf, technically. My mum was a ranger and my dad was an elf. All elves were tall, slim, agile, graceful, wise, and beautiful, Mirima being the perfect example. Whereas me, I was slim, agile, clumsy and in between normal and short.

I was definitely not beautiful no matter what Aragorn said. I looked like a normal human being, apart from the ears. My ears were a little pointed at the ends but that was it. I wasn’t sure if I was immortal. I matured at seventy years of age, which was exactly in between the maturing of elves and rangers. I am resistant to the effects of alcohol and am not subject to disease or physical aging, an elf trait. I also tread lightly and have elf sight and hearing.

I took my hunting knife off my weapons belt and put it on my knife strap. I strapped it around my right shin. I never felt totally safe unless I could defend myself somehow. I piled the clothing I had taken off in the corner on the floor. I took one last glance around my room to make sure I hadn’t forgotten anything and left.