Chapter 6 ~ (Not) So Welcome

Chapter 6

(Not) So Welcome

We eventually stopped laughing and continued to lay there looking at the twinkling of the stars. Off in the distance I heard the clatter of hooves against pavement. 

“Get up!” I hissed at him. He looked surprised, so I continued, “Someone’s coming.” He leapt to his feet, I tried to stand up as well but I caught my foot on my dress causing me to tumble over again. The galloping drew near, and in my peripheral vision I saw a man ride up on a horse.

Aragorn rushed to my side and pulled me up. I stood up quickly and brushed all the rubble and gravel off my dress. I turned to face our visitor. He was a man. He had a square face and a hard-set jaw, with a bit of stubble on it. His hair was a light gingery brown and it came down to his jaw. He was tall and very muscular. He un-mounted his horse and an elf came up immediately to take him away. 

“Be careful, he’s very strong and doesn’t like to be away from his master.” He boasted arrogantly. 

I heard another thunder of hooves coming from a different direction so I whispered, “There’s another one coming.” He nodded. The man watched his horse being lead away completely unaware of our presence. 

I spotted light haired elf gallop through the gateway. He had a handsome face with long blonde hair framing it. He had blue eyes that penetrated mine and held them. His eyes held a certain intelligent depth that I couldn’t quite place my finger on. I looked away and pretended to look towards the entrance for any more arrivals. Another elf came and took his horse away.

The elf and the man walked up to us and bowed in sign of respect. Aragorn and I started to bow as well, when Aragorn elbowed me in the ribs to remind me I was supposed to curtsey. I quickly started to curtsey instead. The blonde elf had noticed and chuckled at my mistake. I pouted at him. 

“Welcome to the beautiful city of Rivendell. I am Aragon. My friend here shall be your escort while you visit Rivendell.” Aragorn said. He nudged me as a sign that it was my turn to speak.

“I am Alana. You may call also me by my elfish name: Vanya.” I said. He nudged me and I sighed. “As Aragorn already said I shall be your escort. If you have any questions ask Aragorn now.” I said putting emphasis on his name. Aragorn frowned at me. 

“Thank you. It is indeed beautiful here, though, not as beautiful as Mirkwood. I am Prince Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood.” He said cockily.

“And I am Boromir, Steward-Prince of Gondor and Caption of the White. At your service my Lady and Sir.” He said bowing deeply again. I thought it was a bit over done but it was nice and formal. 

“Now, Alana will show you your quarters and will have supper brought up to you by her personally.” I raised my eyebrow at him and pouted my lips. He nodded. I sighed knowing he was right. I started walking and Aragorn motioned for them to follow me.

“Alright, Legolas and Boromir. You have two choices: I can show you two your quarters and have food brought to you or I can show you around Rivendell.” I said turning around. 

“My lady, after the long tiresome journey I think I shall retire to my quarters.” Boromir said. I looked at him and replied, “Would you like supper brought to your room?” 

“No thank you m’lady.” He said. I raised an eyebrow. 

“You are aware that my name isn’t m’lady, are you not?” I asked smirking. Legolas laughed and Boromir blushed.

“I was being polite.” He said defensively, now smiling as well.

“You may call me Alana, and nothing else.” I said. He nodded. I added, “I’ll show you to your room now.” And turned on my heel. I could hear their footsteps behind me so I continued walking. Once I reached my door I stopped. They both walked up and stopped in front of me. 

“Ah. Is this my room?” Boromir asked gesturing to the room behind me. I shook my head and answered, “This is my room, and your room is to the left. You shall find all your luggage in there.” I pointed to the door next to mine. He nodded.

“Goodnight M’la- Alana.” He said smiling. He opened the door and walked in without a second glance behind him. I turned to Legolas expecting him to say something. Nope, nothing.