CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1 - I DECIDED TO REBEL

Another sleepless night.

I was tossing and turning, couldn't get any sleep. Habit that I'd developed ever since this marriage had started.

Why do I even bother to wait for him when I know very well that he was with Penelope again?

Shameless.

Giving up the idea of sleeping, I sat up and reached for my phone. It was already 10 in the evening.

At the beginning of this loveless union, I thought that his frequent coming home late at night was due to him being the underboss. Thinking that he might have been stuck in operations, caught in a fight, or even worse, seriously injured. When all this time, he was just warming his mistress' bed.

At this point, I wasn't sure if finding him in the hospital bed was much more bearable than stumbling him on Penelope's. I was just his wife on paper, but treats her differently as if she was the real one.

In fact, he was so shameless that he didn't even deny it, or even defended himself when I confronted him for the first time. He was just silent which frustrates me the most. It left me feel sick to the core.

I should have walked away at that very moment, left everything behind and just forget my fantasy of a happy family. But, funny enough, every time I tried to walked out of the door, it would be the time that Theo would spend his time at home. As if sensing my plan to ran away.

If I knew better, I bet his grandfather—the Don, instructed him or even reminded him of his role as my husband. And if my hunch was right, there were some offers and threatenings as well.

With that, Theo would win my heart again by allowing me to do what a wife does. Making him some breakfast, preparing his suits, even the small task of readying his pyjamas before he goes to sleep. How pitiful of me that I found this tasks as a form of love.

I'd never learn.

I still remember the conversation that I had with the Don on the first year of my marriage with Theo. I was at the hospital, looking after the Don when he had his first heart attack. He didn't suffer any aftermaths as we rushed him right away in the hospital. I insisted on staying and to look after him, besides, what else should I do when I knew very well that my husband and I wouldn't celebrate our first year of being married to each other.

"Grandfather." I handed him his medicine and a cup of water.

"How's my grandson treating you, my child?"

"Well. Nothing to worry about." I answered vaguely. I didn't want to disappoint the Don, and at the same time, to lie to him. Theo had been treating me well enough--if ignoring and being cold was even considered as 'well'. At least he wasn't the violent type--both in physical and verbal.

"You always look after this family." The Don blurted out. His gaze were fixed outside the window, staring at the beautiful sunset. "I promised your grandfather that we will look after you--protect you, but instead, you were the one who takes care of us."

A small smile graced on my lips when he said this. His words made me feel appreciated, which brought joy in me. The Don was one of the many people in this family who acknowledges my worth. They make me feel safe and belong, well it was only Theo who made me feel differently anyway.

"Thank you, grandfather. You've all been nothing but kind to me. Grandad would be so happy." I responded with deep gratitude. I couldn't ask for more. They promised me lifetime protection and financial security, but not a loving and loyal husband. It was I who took that risk.