CHAPTER 6

CHAPTER 6 - IS THIS GOING TO BE MY FUTURE?

Grandad is dead.

The only person I looked forward to hearing my music. The person who did everything for me and my dreams is gone. Grandad was my huge source of emotional support and encouragement. He was always there to listen, offer advice, and help me pursue my passion. And his passing has left a huge void in my life.

Now, I don't have anyone to turn to. It feels like a part of me is missing and I feel lost.

He did everything for my passion for music, worked hard so I could attend a prestigious performing arts school.

He dedicated the rest of his life to fulfilling my dreams, and he wouldn't even be around to witness them. Hear the songs I would dedicate to him. Watch me perform on stage and thank him for all the things he has done for me.

I couldn't do it anymore.

Staring at his casket while they pulled him down, I wasn't sure if I still had the will to continue, to carry on. Especially now that I have a big recital coming up. This would be our finals, and our chance to show off our talent, in hopes of being discovered and signed up by a record company.

There are many top performing artists who trained and discovered at our school, from actors to pop stars, and it was my dream to be one of them. I wanted to share my songs with the world, showcase my voice, and most importantly for my grandad to see me achieve all of these. For him to know that all his hard work has finally paid off.

But now I don't know how.

As I scanned the surrounding area, there were only a few people who attended the funeral. My grandad's friend from the fishmonger, our neighbour Linda--who always gives him food when she cooks dinner, the paper boy, Kevin, who always loved his war stories. And of course my best friend, Selena, who has been crying nonstop since we learned of his passing. She also treats my grandfather like her own, so she was deeply affected by his death.

I was filled with grief, but the presence of these people made me feel a little better. Despite the sad situation, I was glad to see that my grandad was surrounded by the people who loved him. And that was heartwarming.

Among the crowd, there was someone who stood out. An old man probably the same age as my grandfather. He was wearing a black suit and holding his hat close to his chest as his eyes focused on my grandad's casket. I could tell he was there to pay his respects to my grandad, a gesture of utmost kindness on such a sad day.

He was with two muscular guys wearing formal suits as well, on the look out as if they were protecting him—as if he was a very important person.

He must be a friend. I concluded then I refocused my attention on my grandfather and paid my last and final respect as they filled his grave with soil.

I will miss you, Grandad. You will forever be in my heart.

After the funeral, the respectable looking old man came to me and told me he was my grandfather's old friend. He introduced himself as Alastair. He invited me for a drink as he needed to discuss something important about grandad.

I didn't hesitate any bit, and accepted the invitation. Any friend of my grandfather would be trustworthy. I was so sure of it. Besides, I was intrigued, wondering what he might have to say about my beloved grandfather.

"Are you going to be okay?" Selena asked when I told her about Alastair and the meeting we were having later.

I took a deep breath and smiled, trying to put on a brave face. "I'm going to be alright. Thanks for your concern."