CHAPTER 34

A/N: 'COS IT'S CHRISTMAS AND MY BIRTHDAY, EARLY CHAPTER FOR YOU ALL. <3

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

* * * * * *

CHAPTER 34 - WHAT HE ACTUALLY WANTED

"From now on, do whatever you want. Whatever makes you happy. Leave me? Stay at the Casa for good? Fine. Just tell me and it will be fuckin' done."

His voice was cold and emotionless, enough to tear the heart of anyone who heard it.

In my case, I felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest and shattered into a million pieces as if it was glass.

My eyes stinging and my throat tightened as I tried to hold back the tears threatening to escape any minute now, and I knew if I opened my mouth even a tiny bit, I'd lose it. On top of that, I felt an unexplainable, overwhelming sadness wash over me as the realization of what had happened started to sink in.

I just stood there, staring at him with wide eyes, wondering...

How could he suggest such an important matter so nonchalantly? Like it was the easiest thing to do? Like it was something that could be done and taken away in such a quick and simple manner?

Like it was nothing?

Like I was nothing.

Leave him.

These two lines, I heard it so many times from Selina, and even from my own head. But I didn't expect to hear it coming from Theo.

Did he really think that was what I wanted? That leaving him would make me happy?

I was surprised and taken aback. And to be honest, his words had an unexpected impact on me.

I didn't think of it before, but now that the choice was laid down before me by Theo himself, I realized that losing him would just make me feel worse than anything, and I knew it. I was so sure of it. I was determined to do everything I could to make us work. I was determined to fight for this marriage and see it through. I was determined to stay by his side no matter what.

That's what I wanted, Theo!

I wanted to scream that at him, but what if it was only me who still wanted to stay? That even after a year of this arranged marriage, he still couldn't bring himself to love me and didn't want to stay married to me any longer.

What if this was what he was waiting for? Like he wanted me to actually say it, to make a decision to end things with him. He wanted it to come from me, not for him to say it first.

Honestly, I wasn't sure if this was a trick or a genuine offer. He seemed so determined, but I wasn't sure if he was just trying to manipulate me.

I didn't know what to say or what to do.

Theo must have sensed the battle I was waging within myself, because he stepped back a bit to give me space. His face stood firm--still that cold, dispassionate mask as he waited for my decision.

Seeing him so detached like this, I couldn't help but gather what was left of me to speak up. Damn if I looked so vulnerable and weak in front of him. The important thing right now is I say what's in my mind.

"How could you suggest something so important as if it was the easiest thing to do?" I asked, but my voice came off as a whisper. Theo's brows softened and his expression shifted, as if he was taken aback by my response. But he managed to put his mask back on, showing no signs of emotion.