CHAPTER 33

CHAPTER 33 - WHAT MAKES ME HAPPY?

But my laughter died when I heard hard, slow claps echoing around the room.

As I looked up, I saw the last person I wanted to see standing in the doorway. I felt my stomach twist and my heart plummet to the floor as his icy expression and glaring eyes focused on me.

He started walking closer to me, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Congratulations, Lukas. That was probably the first time I heard my wife laugh after marrying me. You finally brought a smile to her face."

Theo's tone was lacing with disdain. He didn't even try to hide the frustration and disappointment in his eyes, and it was obvious he wasn't happy with me.

Well, I wasn't happy with him either. The feeling was mutual!

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest--from nervousness or my own anger, I wasn't quite sure. But one thing was certain. The tension radiating from him as he got closer to me was palpable. "You've been here for what? Weeks? And she's already fond of you." He drawled out so coldly--enough to make my hair stand on end and my stomach churn in worry about his next move.

If it was only us in the room, I wouldn't mind. I could spar and level with him. Especially now that I know what really happened. But I knew I would be inviting more danger if I dared to do so. Besides, I wouldn't want Lukas to get entangled in our twisted marital issues, so I kept my mouth shut.

For now.

"Well, what can I say? I'm such a fun person to be with!" Lukas replied in a lighthearted manner. As if he was trying his best to diffuse the tension. He continued by making a joke to lighten the mood. "Everyone is fond of me, Theo. What's new? I'm the life of the party as always. That's why I'm voted as everyone's favorite cousin, over and over again!" He finished with a grin, but Theo was far from being humored.

In fact, his eyes were fixed on me, and I could tell he wasn't amused.

"Not everybody, you're forgetting about me!" Suddenly, a female voice spoke up and broke the tension in the room.

"Beatrice?" Lukas stood up immediately and dashed to the entrance door where Beatrice had just walked in. She had a big smile on her face and was carrying a bouquet of white roses.

That was the only time Theo stopped staring at me and turned to look in Beatrice's direction. I too stared at her, wondering if she was the same person the Don and others had told me before--the youngest cousin in Theo's generation.

Beatrice had a sophisticated air about her--looking so elegant in her pink dress. She had stunning curly dark hair and hazel eyes that sparkled and full of life. She was beautiful--as expected of their Salvatore bloodline.

She greeted Lukas with a quick kiss on the cheek before gracefully making her way to Theo. "Theodore will always and forever be my favorite cousin, Lukas. You know that already." Her lips curled into a mischievous smile as she turned at Theo. "Hello, boss." She greeted him in a cheerful voice.

"Hello, trouble." Theo responded, as he patted her head fondly like she was a child.

Beatrice spat his hand away and pouted, "I'm not a child anymore, Theo. How many times do I have to tell you not to do that?" Her eyes travelled from him to his side and caught my eyes. Her face immediately lit up. "And I'm certain you are Amelia."

A warm smile spread across her face as she hugged me after putting the flowers on top of the piano. When she pulled back, she touched the ends of my hair and said, "Now I understand why my favorite cousin, so averse to marriage, suddenly decided to get a wife. You are very beautiful, Amelia."