CHAPTER 49

THEO'S POV

CHAPTER 49 - JUST BUSINESS, NOTHING PERSONAL

"And make sure to do background checks on the company that would potentially sign her up after her recital. If it's not up to our standards, I don't want any of them near her. Do I make myself clear, Andreas? That should cover everything from here until her debut and beyond that."

I hung up the phone, feeling a sense of satisfaction knowing that I had taken all the necessary precautions to ensure Amelia's safety and success in her career. Now, all that was left to do was wait for her debut and keep her protected from all forms of threats and potential harm.

Until we find the family who wanted her.

Just when I was about to leave school, I heard a man's voice and a faint sobbing sound coming from behind the room door.

I would have turned away and ignored it. But the thought of it being Amelia compelled me to investigate further.

When I peeked at the crack in the door, I saw a man--appeared to be in his early thirties, with a disheveled appearance and a look of desperation in his eyes. The woman who was sobbing was a blonde girl, the one who talked to Amelia awhile ago. She looked frightened and distraught.

Clearly, whatever this man said to her deeply affected her. She was trembling and struggling to regain her composure. There's no doubt that his words struck a nerve.

Oh well.

When I made sure it wasn't Amelia, I turned my heel and began to leave.

Eavesdropping is not my style, so I decided it was best to give them their privacy and continue on my way.

"But there's nothing to worry about. Like what I said, I can help you with it. But it comes with a price. And we both know what that is, what I want from you. Right, Miss Rhodes?"

There was something about the man's words that made me stop and listen instead. His tone held a hint of manipulation and malice.

Funny how I could sense his ulterior motives.

"You're not that talented. And with the recital coming, I'm concerned that no one would sign you up to their companies. All your hard work at this school will be wasted. It's such a shame, don't you think?"

"Please, Mr. Pelts." Rhodes girl pleaded, her sobs just getting louder. "I will do anything, but not that."

He snickered. "You're lucky that I even consider to offer you of any help, Ms. Rhodes. I could hook you up with companies I know of. You know me, I'm a very influential music teacher. I can introduce you to some important contacts in the music industry who could boost your career and open doors for you--even with average skills like yours."

This fucker is their music teacher?

"For a favor like this, I need something big and usable in return. If you decline this once in a lifetime opportunity, you will regret it. That's for sure. Because I could easily help other students who are more than willing to return my kindness." He started walking towards Rhodes and touched her shoulders. She flinched, but stayed rooted. "Let's be honest, there's nothing else you could offer. Only your--"

"I fuckin' dare you to finish that sentence," I drawled in a venomous tone as I entered the room--making my presence known.

They both turned to me surprised.

Rhodes had a mixture of fear, but mostly releived when she saw me. As if she had seen a lifeline in the midst of chaos, she breathed a sigh of relief upon laying eyes on me.